About sound and silence..?

(6 posts)
  1. Sandemose

Hey folks,

Sometimes we find ourselfs thinking hard (perhaps to often) and sometimes we think freely, thought is light and stuff fall into place. I had one of those moments recently. I recalled a childhood memory, from when I was around 10-12. I then spend alot of time listening to music in my headphones (I hated speakers, I wanted the sound for myself, no one else but me), perhaps 4-5 hours per day. I remember one time, it only happened once or twice in my life, when I was listening to music it all became quiet. The record hadnt stopped. But I remember being drawn into myself, like the eye of a storm, and I sat watching myself in utter silence. I had some kind of contact with, which I realized later, was some kind of origin within myself. And it was silent. So, a thought emerged today. What if existence is born from silence? What if this silence is found within sounds, as if sounds carries silence with it? What if sounds, therefor, can take us back the origin of our existence?

Best, Sandemose

Register
  2. Matt

Interesting thought. I'll mull over it for a while

3. Colonel Trane

This is pretty deep, obviously sound and silence are tied together at their very core but how deep that all goes I don't know. I have never had an experience like the one you describe.

4. Matt

I know what you mean, in terms of experience. I've felt it at nights, before sleeping, while listening to music, lying in bed, with the moon shining in through the window, and i felt very pure and perfect and drawn into myself. Almost like a character from a Tao Lin novel, of sorts.

But i think the silence you mention is more of our internal silence, the part of us that doesn't need other people, or even to be noticed, but just feels necessary to be there. Perhaps this is the true self, without preconceptions, and that could be what we express through sound/music.

5. Sandemose

"But i think the silence you mention is more of our internal silence, the part of us that doesn't need other people, or even to be noticed, but just feels necessary to be there. Perhaps this is the true self, without preconceptions, and that could be what we express through sound/music."

Thanks for sharing your experience, and thanks for all comments. I think that this quoute really sums up what I wanted to say. Thanks for that!

Best, Sandemose

6. This is really out, man.

You must log in to post.