Edit page

...and how about a DVD/BluRay recording of some Kurt's live concert?

(26 posts)

Tags:

1. Thiago

Hey guys, after reading the topic about KR merchandising I kept me wondering about how nice would be watch some concerts from Kurt in DVD or BluRay, with high quality audio and video shooting, of course.
    If anyone else follows me in this "need", speak out loud so the wonmusic guy can hear us. lol
    Hope that some project like this come out someday.

2. contremisart

hey man, it would be such a treat to see that. but considering only old dogs like pat metheny, herbie hancock etc. get to release some live footage i wouldn't get my hopes high on this one. i would pay anything to see that though.

Register
  3. guitarmo

Yeah I'd buy anything and everything with Kurt's name on it, so please kindly hurry up wom music.

4. sweetdeat

Leave it to Guitarmo to lead the charge....

5. guitarmo

@sweetdeat, chea boi!!!!

6. sandman

agreed!!

7. fakejake

i'd pay full price for a badly edited dvd of just kurt practicing for like 5 hours. seriously.

8. david6strings

specially that fakejack, some like: one week in the kurt's study room, hidden cam. no explanations, no comments, just kurt and his routines, his tryings, mistakes and goals... a bestseller!

9. contremisart

you sound like a sick fan david :)

10. patfarlow

since most of the people that listen to jazz are probably musicians, a dvd geared towards that demographic would be great. I.E practices and behind the scenes in depth stuff, theory discussions etc. I would buy it.

11. fakejake

most of the people that listen to jazz are probably musicians

wow, what a statement to make. I really don't think so.

12. jorgemg1984

My experience also tells me that's not true. Jazz constant listeners are not many but still most are non-musicians, at least here.

13. guitarmo

Most of the people who listen to jazz are jazz musicians girlfriends, DUH!

14. sweetdeat

Oh Guitarmo....so much truth to that...

15. Ahahahahahaha

16. patfarlow

when compared to popular music....the jazz fan base is def more musicians.
    why do you think you're on a kurt message board talking to all musicians

17. jorgemg1984

If you consider the whole audience of pop and the whole audience of jazz the proportion of musicians inside each one will be bigger in jazz, no doubt. But I still think the majority are non-musicians in the jazz audience.

I don't think this board is an accurate measurement of Kurt's fan base. Most people here are guitar players which is even more specific than musicians and come here to learn about Kurt. As much as I love say Brad Mehldau I would probably never go to his forum (if he had one).

18. patfarlow

id like to see an exit poll at a few jazz shows to test this hypothesis

you woudlnt visit a brad mehldau board? why not? that seems cool

19. fakejake

it depends on how you define 'musician'. if to you this is anyone who can play 3 chords on a guitar or piano, fine, you might be right
    to me a musician is someone who lives from making music, or, at least, dedicates most of his time + energy to music. in that case most of the people who listen to jazz are most definitely NOT musicians.

20. Mehldau is one of the first of his generation to look laterally at current pop and anything he dug to do covers of . This is before the bad plus. ( yes, I'm aware miles doing human nature and time after time cyndi Lauper... His generation).
    When you do radio head , nick cave, soundgarden etc you're going to get music fans that aren't necessarily musicians ( and lots do them when you choose big acts with tunes like bittersweet symphony).

21. jorgemg1984

"it depends on how you define 'musician'. if to you this is anyone who can play 3 chords on a guitar or piano, fine, you might be right
    to me a musician is someone who lives from making music, or, at least, dedicates most of his time + energy to music. in that case most of the people who listen to jazz are most definitely NOT musicians"

This makes a lot of sense.

Maybe I would go there from time to time but I bet a lot of the discussions would be piano-related as a lot are guitar-related around here.

22. patfarlow

i think its good we defined terms here because i wasnt talking about "professional musicians" rather just musicians being more likely to listen to jazz.

secondly with regards to a piano based board, they can be helpful because its a different perspective.
    Im sure everyone here has practiced Bach, Debussy, Bill Evans or whatever piano players that influence you.

23. jorgemg1984

Yes I agree but musicians tend to just go to their instruments forum (which is stupid probably)

24. I go into sax and bass forums ; several music blogs and instrumentalist blogs. Sure , I know where I an go to get purely guitar specific information. Some of these forums are downright shitty either in content or functionality or are just not that trafficked.... For instance I really like Steve coleman's essays ( perhaps more than some of his catalogue ), but the forum was( last I checked ) not getting that much activity even from its moderators... A year went by and a bot sent some message saying I would be deleted for inactivity as a maintenance thing . I resubscribed for another year of cyber tumbleweeds.
    Also, I'm not expecting certain things ( like what can be experienced through listening or playing or practicing ) from a forum. Creepily enough, this sometimes is a place to hide from getting down to that stuff and feel like I am somehow doing myself a favor by orbiting substance.
    The desire for a DVD is clear. Somehow the discussion has shifted to market and alleged market trends/ demographics. Let's see what happens. If he is able to to put out an album and shows ( with nice footage ) with a good modern big band , the wine solo stuff, masterclasses wherever, etc..., there is the ability and a demand. Simple. There could be other factors or reasons as to why it's not being done at this juncture. Also , is it just me or with file sharing in this day along with a certain feeling after watching DVDs of being left somewhat cold. Perhaps more so with instructional DVD s: I watch it , get stoked, put a star on the concepts or licks ( which will be worked on later ) and then I just have this artifact. I have the holdsworth DVD ; I havent watched since the first viewing. But I have it¿?hmm. Perhaps it's a question of will they make that much from it? I'd like to see it . I feel like if there weren't instructional things ( which may feel lke a deterrent or corny ), beyond concert footage it would be more enticing if there was talks, footage of the day to day , walking around etc. this stuff makes for subsequent viewings. Avant guarde documentaries are great like this or even the multiple part mehldau one on YouTube. I've watched some Steve lacy or Mingus or ornette stuff a bunch . Again, this becomes a thing of romance and getting into the person and a vibe not do much music performance or instruction.

25. goshawk

Wonderful insights Floating Bridge. Couldn't agree more about the " romance and getting into the person and a vibe not do much music performance or instruction."
    Also" Creepily enough, this sometimes is a place to hide from getting down to that stuff and feel like I am somehow doing myself a favor by orbiting substance. "

Thanks

You must log in to post.