approaching scales/patterns

(3 posts)

No tags yet.

1. johnc

Hello,

I have been working on scales in many different ways these days, since there are so many ways to finger a scale pattern - CAGED type shapes, 7 positions (some of which have multiple fingerings), seven 3 note per string patterns, etc.. This has been good for getting me to see and play scales in different ways but problematic when it comes to practicing a scale in 3rds, 4ths, playing triads or 7th chords through scales, etc. I would like to practice each pattern thoroughly but it would be tedious to work on one pattern over all the different choices for a major scale..that doesn't even factor in playing them in different keys or scales. How would you approach this kind of thing?

Secret
  2. Neither

It was one of my implied question on this topic : http://www.kurtrosenwinkel.com/forum/topic/scales-shapes and I'm in the same kind of problems

3. jazzbum

My feeling is that as guitarists we really do get hung up on patterns, simply because of the nature of the instrument. I spent many hours practicing the Bill Leavitt shapes and patterns, as well as his 12 fingerings in one position. I did it because that made more sense to me at the time than 3 NPS patterns.

I decided though, that 3 NPS was worth knows so I practiced that for some time as well, and am coming back to it now. I have sort of "come around" to its practicality.

You have to practice what makes the most sense to you first, then you can really incorporate other ideas. Kurt has really built a massive vocabulary with fingerings that make the most sense to him......so why no do the same. Develop your own method.

You must log in to post.