Archtops

(7 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Pauli Poulsen

Hey all

I've been playing my Sheraton II for a few years now, and am wanting something a little better. I'm looking for a hollowbody (as opposed to semi-hollow) in the $1500 range. Could possibly stretch it to $2000. I basically don't really know where to start.

Can you name me some brands/models worth checking out? I'm in Los Angeles and will be traveling to NY next week, in case anyone has specific stores that they'd recommend.

I tried a used Eastman for about $1600 (didn't take note of the model) and while it was nice, I feel like there's more guitars I should check out before I buy.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I've been searching the forum, but found oddly little mentioned about the subject.

2. aramaya

hofner's are really well built and sound great.
    http://elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-5366.htm

3. fakejake

4. guitar1025

5. Pauli Poulsen

Thanks, guys. I'll keep an eye out on these.

Also, what do you guys think of just the neck pickup in an archtop vs. having both bridge and neck?

6. aramaya

I used to snub the bridge pickup until I bought my hofner. It is the first bridge pickup I have ever liked the sound of.
    I now use the switch in the middle position and blend the tone of both pickups. However, it is easy to just go with a neck pickup on a great instrument.

7. fakejake

If you like Kreisberg’s sound you should be able to get an older ES 175 from a similar year he has. Those are very ‘electric’ sounding hollowbodies, however.

You must log in to post.