Ben Monder Distortion

(14 posts)

No tags yet.

1. jorgemg1984

Hi!

Can anyone tell me which distortion he uses besides the RAT? In some records it sounds like other pedal and it's amazing. I remember reading it was a DS-1 modified but now I can't find that info anywhere. Can you anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Edit page
  2. Benny

As of 2010:

There are quite a few extraordinary guitar sounds on Bloom. What were you playing through when you recorded it?

It was pretty much my standard setup from ten years ago. I played my Ibanez AS- 50 guitar through two amps: my Fender Princeton and the engineer’s Ampeg B-15 Portaflex bass amp, which sounded great with guitar. For effects I had a little Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, a Boss DD-2 delay, a Rat distortion, a Boss CS-3 compressor, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal.

Has your rig changed much since then?

I still use the LXP-1, though I had it upgraded by a guy in California a few years ago, so it sounds much better. I mostly just keep it on the Hall setting and adjust the amount depending on the tune. I also have a Rat modified by Robert Keeley, a Fulltone Deja Vibe, an MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, and the same compressor and volume pedal as before. Sometimes I’ll also use an old Boss OC-2 Octave pedal. I generally play through a Music Man RD-112 on gigs, and for recording I’ll use a ’66 blackface Fender Deluxe or a ’68 silverface Princeton, sometimes recorded in stereo. Occasionally I’ll use the Music Man and the Deluxe in stereo on gigs, which sounds really good.

Quoted from: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/Ben-Monder/153

Private
  3. jorgemg1984

Thanks Benny, I know that interview and he does not mention the boss distortion here. But I am pretty sure he did in other interview but I can't find anywhere...

4. Matt

if it helps, i've read that Ben avoids changing his strings (almost for a decade, i think) so that would likely contribute to his sound, making it grittier.

5. jorgemg1984

I also heard that and I am sure it's a big part of his sound. Maybe I am just crazy but I could swear he used something like a DS-1... On "A Girl Named Joe" he gets an awesome OD sound that does not sound like a RAT to my ears. But I might be wrong of course.

6. JPMike

Matt, is this true? WoW...

7. JorgeRubiales

I think we can safely discard the "rusty strings" myth. A quick search over google pictures shows Ben on many gigs with perfectly shiny strings.

8. JPMike

I thought exactly the same, I bet after a decade the strings wouldn't be even ringing.

9. Din

That was a joke he made in an interview...

10. Matt

ben makes his own strings made from the ores found in the mines of Moria and forged in Mt. Doom.

one tone to rule them all....

11. JorgeRubiales

Lollllllllllllllllll

12. cruxtable

don't you mean one string to rule them all?

13. wilmore

we are talking about monder. i would say six strings to rule them all.

14. Matt

monder can't horde six of the nine original strings cast!!

You must log in to post.