Email

Bye bye blackbird changes

(7 posts)
  1. Sandemose

I just picked up Bye Bye Blackbird again, after not been playing it for a long time. I spend quite much time listening to Keith Jarretts version of it, from the record with the same title.

There obviously are different versions out there when it comes down to the changes. I find two different versions in my realbooks:

Realbook II

Fmaj Fmaj Fmaj Fmaj

Fmaj Abdim Gm7 C7

Gm7 Gm7 Gm7 C7

Gm7 C7 Fmaj Fmaj

Gm7 Gm7 Am7b5 D7b9

Gm7 Gm7 Bbm7 Eb7 Gm7 C7

Fmaj Fmaj Am7b5 D7b9

Gm7 C7 Fmaj Fmaj

NewRealbook 2 have the Miles Davis changes (I cant write em out) but they are quite different. The version above sort of provide freedom within the form (in the first four bars you can easely throw in Gm7C7 the second and fourth bar).

From bar 5-8 I like doing this: Gm11 (x-5-8-5-6-x), Abdim (x-7-8-6-8-x), Gm7 (Csus4: 8-x-8-7-6-x), C13 (8-x-8-7-5-x). If you chose to play the Abdim (with the note G on top, you get a diminshed major seven sound, yes, which is the same scale as the G half/wholstep diminished scale, no?). Is the Abdim to be thought of as a G7b9/diminished chord going to Gm7? How do you guys treat that Abdim chord if you play it at all? And if you dont, how would you treat it? :)

best regards,

Sandemose

2. jbroad

you can think of the Abdim as a sub for D7#9(#11). I-VI-ii-V

3. Sandemose

Yeah, thanks! When you say it, its quite obvious. I also use this voicing to get the sound Im searching for: 4-x-3-4-5-x, I want the b-note to stand out, the 13th of D7 that is, so the change between the chords is hearable.

Thanks jbroad!

Sandemose

4. jazznan

5. Sandemose- are you talking about his version with paul motian and gary peacock? that version is INCREDIBLE! man o man!

6. Sandemose

kittles: no, with Jack Dejonette and Gary Peacock. The record is also named "Bye bye blackbird". And yes, its incredible :)

Best, Sandemose

7. jazznan

That version, from the album that's a tribute to Miles, with gary and jack has got some of the most swinging stuff ever, so light, the timing and lines are just ridiculous, just pure music

You must log in to post.