Charles Altura

(5 posts)
  1. Ben

I saw a young guitarist the other night named Charles Altura who impressed me, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any records he's been on since he hasn't anything under his own name yet.

I liked his sound a lot, but I was surprised at how much he sounded or tried to sound like kurt. Maybe it's just me, but when I saw him live I got that feeling. He used a whiteface RAT and I thought his solos sounded very similar to kurt's OJM record. I'm not saying it's a bad (or good) thing and I definitely enjoyed his playing, but I wasn't sure if I heard him or him trying to sound like Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Any thoughts?

2. Hi Ben,

Altura's web-presence is pretty much zilch. I tried to friend him on Facebook for updates, but he hasn't accepted yet :) I think he used to tour with Chick Corea. His website says he's working on a new album. He is on the new Ambrose Akinmusire record "The Imagined Savior..", which I bought mostly because of Altura's playing. Here is a cool clip. Yeah he has liquid fingers, what a wonderful player.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

3. wommusic
    Key Master

I think Charles, one, sounds great and, two, is going for his own thing. I am sure he's been impacted by Kurt but I don't hear him as a clone. He's got an interesting approach and I, for one, can't wait to hear his album!

Register
  4. He is also on this album:

Dayna Stephens

"I'll Take My Chances"

Criss Cross Jazz

Secret
  5. kley2004

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

Edit page

You must log in to post.