Register

Christmas Song Rhythms

(12 posts)
  1. Pascau

Umm, what?

So a year ago or so I transcribed the notes for the head of this song. I could play along with the recording, but I had no idea how to notate the rhythms/what was happening with the time etc. I'm hoping to eventually try this tune with some friends.

I'm revisiting it, and right now I'm just working on writing out the time, or something to effect of time. What time signature/how many bars of this or that. Or maybe just rough note durations. I don't know. I've been trying to use the bass hits to orient myself.

My question is, what do you guys make of it? Any ideas/explanations/something to point me in the right direction for organizing a chart for something like this would be greatly appreciated.

2. denjz

That's an interesting one , Pascau! I was curious about it since I first heard the song.
    Actually , my first question was: is the melody related somehow to what the drums are doing?... or the drums just play in their own tempo and the melody is played on cues? And then,of course,how do you write it?

Admin
  3. Pascau

Yeah I wondered the same thing. It does all sound cohesive/make sense on the surface, but whenever I try work something out in this song, I can never hear whats going on quite well enough that I feel certain that I'm correct.

A lot of what the drums are doing feels like 5 or variations of 12 123 and such, but I haven't managed to link everything up yet... I'll post more if I come up with anything, although I'm currently in exams so it could take a week.

4. denjz

Finally decided to make a lead sheet of this song.I think that the melody should be played freely over the drums kind of like Ornette's "Lonely Woman".

So, here's what I came up with:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0Z7OTj34DZsenBwa2ZEeDNyUXM

5. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0nbLtfXdqIza0ZlY1RQeXhrZ3M/edit

the head is played rubato over "fast" drums, like lonely woman.

cheers,
    Kurt

6. fakejake

Is that your handwriting Kurt? It's interesting, the G's and C's in the title look different from those in the chart....

Email
  7. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

its my handwriting yes

8. sza

Thanks for sharing, kurt!

9. add4

Thanks for sharing!

10. denjz

Thanks Kurt! Haha, although there were some mistakes, still - my version wasn't too far out! :-)

11. filters

thanks a lot Kurt !

12. Pascau

Awesome! Many thanks :)

You must log in to post.