Email

Composing Book

(6 posts)

No tags yet.

1. jorgemg1984

Hi!

Anyone knows a nice book for composing? Just a small book with a few tips not a 500 page gigantic book about composition and arranging (which is most of what I've found)

Thanks,

Admin
  2. JorgeRubiales

My advice is to study some classical harmony, and then to do a few analysis of bach, mozart, beethoven, bartok....so you learn how they did it. I know some people treat jazz like it's a whole different deal, but harmony is harmony, and form is form. ABBA existed well before Ellington, didn't it? ^_^

Edit page
  3. denjz

I'm sure there are plenty small books out there named something like "How to become a composer in three easy steps", my question is why would you need something like that? :-) Music composition is a serious topic that needs thorough study, just like anything else...

Admin

4. Admin
  5. docbop

I wish the composition teacher I had would write a book the way he taught was great. He taught traditional composition, but instead of classical examples he used all Beatle songs. Was really cool having example tunes already familiar with.

6. jorgemg1984

Thanks for all the input guys! I should have been more clear about what I wanted; about improvisation I've become really tired of those enormous books that you would have to live 300 years in order to complete. I have been practicing small logical stuff and progressing much faster than when I practiced infinite stuff. I have my own method for improvisation and I am very happy with it.

I understand the point about those "easy path" books. There are also tons of those about improvisation and they all suck, to me the "truth" is between the easy and the overwhelming approach.

About composition is something I just recently become serious about. I don't really believe in a system that will make you compose great tunes, as in improvisation you must find your own way but I was curious if anyone had experience with a book that provided small tips on how to say "force yourself" to compose or how to develop a small idea into a whole piece (for my own originals, I have no goal of becoming a composer per se)

Magical rainbow ponies

You must log in to post.