Secret

D'angelico Nyss 3/ Nyss 3b vs. Ex-ss

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. I played the D'angelico Ex-ss at a local shop and was surprised to find that it was fully hollow with a small solid block beneath the bridge. I was under the impression that both the Nyss 3 and the Ex-ss were 335 style with a solid block running the full length of the body. Can anyone with experience with the Nyss-3/3B tell me if it has a full length solid block or if it is fully hollow with a block beneath the bridge only. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. JorgeRubiales

AFAIK the nyss-3 is hollow with the "inserts" on bridge and neck.

3. Thanks Jorge. Is there anyone on the forum that owns an Nyss 3 that can enlighten me? I've heard and read alot of speculation about this but I am unable to get a solid or definate answer.

4. Benny

The NYSS3 has a block running through the body like a 335. The Excel SS was designed for D'Angelico by luthier Bill Commins and has a small block under the bridge and tailpiece only. By all accounts the Excel SS is an excellent guitar, only produced in limited quantities to date.

I've seen plenty of discussion of these guitars on the RMMGJ discussion page, including comments from players who have these guitars. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz/browse_thread/thread/d2dc473dfc8cd03e/81e2552a4624104d?lnk=gst&q=d%27angelico#

5. guitarua

I have had an NYSS-3 for a few weeks now. It has a center block that runs through the body, like an es-335, but heavier IME.

6. mitinite

Hi everybody, I own a D'Angelico NYSS-3 (the one without tailpiece) and I'm considering to let it go.
    Anyone interested please contact me in order to ask anything about the guitar.
    I'm from Italy

7. JPMike

You must log in to post.