'deep' practice ideas

(33 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Matt

waht do you guys practice that you consider deep? and i dont mean 'man my bebop scales are so deep'. i guess i ask because i've been practicing long tones lately, just playing one note to every one or two clicks at 20bpm and trying to get my attack and tone just super consistent and it feels like i can spend endless hours doing this. it feels deep to me. what'd'ya'll got?

2. jorgemg1984

Armen Donelian Ear Training exercises

3. Matt

i've never heard of his stuff... that good?

4. jorgemg1984

IMO yes, by far the best ear training method but I think his books are very overpriced... the content is great but could have been put in 20 pages or something like that. He completely avoids the sight singing / hearing intervals approach that you get on all ear training books and he gets very deep on the subject.

He is the Ear Training teacher in the New School and a great piano player (played on smalls a few nights ago I think). If you shoot me your e-mail I can give you some good exercises.

5. Matt

6. Sandemose

Practicing hard metric stuff and with the metronome set slow as you said Matt. Im trying to play triplets over 8th note syncope (2-and) so I plat 3:2 but with the click on "2". I think its hard and when it works, and I feel free with the time keeping, it feels deep.

Best, Sandemose

7. sandman

8. arewolfe

I don't have any deep practice concepts but it feels deep when I try to comp over the solo section of Spain at 280 using a 5/8 rhythm of an 8th note and a dotted 8th note... going for multiple choruses and trying not to "start over" when you get to the end of 4 or 8 bars.

9. I'd love to hear about some of those exercises ; could I give you my email aswell?:
    [email protected]

Also, I saw this and it felt so right on and clear. I do like books and taking lessons from bad asses, although sometimes (unless there is some ground breaking thing/person/technique / etc). Aside from a particular obsession or technical focus or things I'm writing - there seems to be just where I am at with fundamentals , rhythm, ear training ( very cut and dry basics ). When the YouTube is off im faced with the harsh cold lonely task of addressing g these issues from where I left off and trying to push the wall ( despite lofty interests or obsessions).
    Again , I saw this and it felt so tangible and clear and simple ( not to mention his beautiful playing ). Enjoy:

Check out this video on YouTube:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

10. silverwater

Lately I've been into keeping my eyes closed when practicing everything (except reading of course), even if I lose where I am or have to make a big jump up or down the neck. It's made me realize how much sight interrupts my concentration on the sound.

Going to a live performance by some heavy hitters and keeping your eyes closed is good too.

11. david6strings

any Armen Donelian samples? i'm thinking about purchase the method but i prefer to see something first. i aprecciate if any of you have any samples of the eartraining method. if you got it and want to send me something please my adress is [email protected] thanks in advance

12. JorgeRubiales

Any rythmic displacement of the same motive back and forth... Also, extremely low tempos with the help of a DAW (trying maybe 30 bpm)

13. jorgemg1984

Monder talks a lot about practicing at 30 bmp or even lower... have to try do that someday!

14. JorgeRubiales

Yup, sometimes, slower is harder....

15. hi jorgemg1984... the Armen Donelian Ear Training exercises actually sounds very interesting. i do agree though that the price is a lot to chew for a broke --- musician like myself... any chance i too can see some samples of these Armen Donelain's ear training exercises?

my email is: [email protected]

16. jorgemg1984

Done :)

17. Jorge, can i have that too?
    wylmsy[at]web[.]de
    Thanks a lot!

18. amaucer

Jorge, could I have too?

Thanks in advance.

amaucer[at]gmail[dot]com

19. SJS

@Jorge, I didn't want to bug you so I ordered the book based on yours and some others recommendations. I'm sure ill get a lot out of it, and im not likely to attend any of his classes at The New School, but you weren't joking when you said they were expensive. On top of the book cost he sent me an email saying I needed to add another $USD 26 and a $3 handling charge for postage to Hong Kong. Wow $90 for a book. I think I won't be so reserved next time in asking for info before I shell out for something.
    Cheers

20. jorgemg1984

Yeah very expensive... and not worth the price, imho. If you still want my resume (and quite some addictions from me) just leave your e-mail :)

21. cfernandes

Hi jorge!

carlosfernandes.jazz_at_gmail.com

abraço

22. Ben

23. smoke

Thanks Jorge!

24. Thiago

Jorge,

I'd be very happy to have it too. Thanks!

25. jorgemg1984

Thiago, chuta-me o teu e-mail :)

26. carlito

27. Thiago

28. For me practicing rhythm can be very deep. I like to practice Konnokol (rhythm system from South India) and rhythm cycles. By rhythm cycles I mean: in 12 beats you can play 4 times three beats in one hand and 3 times four beats in another hand (you play only the one of three and the one of four).

Olá Jorge, será que também podia ter acesso a esses exercicios? [email protected] Obrigado

http://ararur.bandcamp.com

29. Juan

30. Gesture

Reply »

You must log in to post.