Easy to use sequencer for practicing?

(8 posts)

No tags yet.

1. jbear

I am looking into getting a sequencer that will help me develop certain aspects of my playing. I have heard good things about the Yamaha QY100 and I see a QY70 as well, which is less expensive. I really know nothing about these things, but I'd like to learn. I'd like something that doesn't require me to become a software engineer in order to use it effectively. Do I use these with amps? Headphones? My computer? Can anyone give me the "Using/Practicing with Sequencers 101" course...or point me in the right direction for some info?
    Thanks all!

Magical rainbow ponies
  2. silverwater

What exactly do you need a sequencer for?

I don't know anything about the Yamaha QY100, but if you need something to loop changes for you to solo over, I can recommend Band-In-A-Box.

3. cruxtable

yea i doubt how useful those portable sequencers could be...i recommend using computer software, band in a box is way easier to use then one of those sequencers, and probably more powerful. and if you have a laptop you can bring it anywhere.

4. If you are looking to just loop changes get a boss loop station. This is a very good tool, because it forces you to work on your timing first- you must be able to record a chorus for yourself in time before you move on to playing over it.I believe it's the RC-20, don't get the one that is only one pedal- I hear bad things. This thing has 2 pedals in one unit... They also have a crazy version with several pedals to be albe to take out and bring back various loops but it is more expensive and perhaps over the top for your needs.

Secret
  5. I have the Boss RC-2, the single pedal, and I have never had a problem with it. It makes an excellent practice tool.

6. jbear

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping that a sequencer will help me to work on:
    -Time
    -Playing/phrasing over chords
    -Improv
    Several have pointed me toward Band in a Box. I will look into that, but I would like something that would be usable independent of a computer as well. I ask about the QY100 as Scott Henderson recommended it as a practice tool.

7. The boss thingy will totally meet your needs and looks like bingefeller is saying his version ( which is probably cheaper ) is working for him.

8. david6strings

4 me to learn the best thing is a just 1 type of equidistant clicks and forced the mind to get space sense of time. one click in beat 2 another in the 4. one click on 2 for 3/4 swing or even the last of every eight triplet for working quantization. the i can use the band in a box sometimes but i don't recommend use it all the time, these things give you too much information. say a sax player must to sound to II V I when playing over II V I but with a play a long you have less responsability in that matter biabox and similars are good for other things i think

You must log in to post.