Admin

Favorite trio album?

(20 posts)

Tags:

1. patfarlow

2. jbroad

i would go with jim hall "live" but bright size life is right up there too!

Register
  3. arewolfe

Avishai Cohen - Continuo

4. Sandemose

Bill Evans, Paul Motion, Scott LaFaro recordings and of course Keith Jarretts standard albums with Peacock and Dejonette.

Not jazz at all, by I love Freak Kitchens Spanking Hour (hard rock trio from Sweden). Mattias IA Eklundh is totally wild on that record, playing some amazing rock/metal guitar with fantastic song writing as well.

Best, Sandemose

5. contremisart

A bit out of the western context but mine is Telvin

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

6. jorgemg1984

I am really in love with "Small Club, Big city" by Lage Lund. I also like "Trio Live" by Metheny, Kurt's "East Coast Love Affair" or Jim Hall's "Live"... tough to choose!

7. patfarlow

All great albums. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Email
  8. Gia5

Ahmad Jamal "Live at Phershing". Paul Bley "Footlose". John Abercrombie Marc Johnson & Peter Erskine. Herbie Nichols "Love, gloom, cash, love" Chick Corea "Now he songs, now he sobs" Of course, Bill Evans, too many to list, Jarrett, and the live of Jim Hall.

9. Redbeard

Albums aside (it's too easy to pick "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"), my favorite contemporary trio is the Marcin Wasilewski Trio ... formerly called Simple Acoustic Trio ... and formerly Tomasz Stanko's rhythm section. They're the most kinetic jazz trio I've ever seen live.

10. jazznan

Anything by Keith, Jack and Gary, but my favorite would be either The Cure, Still Live, or the Blue Note

11. wommusic
    Key Master

How about "An Evening with Joe Henderson, Charlie Haden, Al Foster" on Red Records from 1987? Selling for the incredible price of $4.99 on iTunes, which must be the steal of the century musically speaking: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/evening-joe-henderson-al-foster/id282071990

12. miss marple

i´m a big fan of the PABLO HELD TRIO and recommend the album "music" and "forest of oblivion"...

13. senggedorje

I know they don't fit into the jazz genre, but Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles and Billy Cox are my favorite trio: the Band of Gypsies.

14. jazzacast55

I would have to say at the moment or at least over the last few years up till now would have to be James Mullers Kaboom album with Matt Penman and Bill Stewert, it's just a killer album, great tunes and killer playing, not super long either, but I'm sure that will change.

15. docbop

Joe Diorio Trio
    Lage Lund Trio
    Hank jones Trio

16. guitar1025

Trio 99-00 - Pat Metheny
    East Coast Love Affair - Kurt
    Any of the Peter Bernstein, Larry Goldings, Bill Stewart recordings/bootlegs
    House On Hill, Places, Anything Goes - Brad Mehldau
    ANYTHING Keith Jarrett. . .

. . .I know I'm forgetting some but these are the ones that jump out!

17. patfarlow

http://open.spotify.com/user/patfarlow/playlist/6kycHGUT9rjViIHJO54Hsw

here is a spotify list i made of everyones picks..
    its collaborative, I tried to keep only trios, some stuff wasn't available though.

Feel free so add other trios you like

18. guitar1025

Awesome!!

19. Redbeard

Thanks, Patfarlow, I enjoyed your comprehensive playlist.

Someone's uploaded an entire hour of the Marcin Wasilewski Trio on Tuber in HD. Mezzo Channel, whatever and wherever you are, I love you. Don't ever change.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N5nO8swILcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. thedwork

Jeff Parker - Like-Coping

Kevin Hays - Live At Smalls

Rebecca Martin - When I Was Long Ago

You must log in to post.