Finger Style/ Classical Guitar?

(7 posts)
  1. g_2_the_izzo

Hi All,

I was curious if you guys ever listen to classical or finger style guitar music?

One of my favorite classical guitarists is Roland Dyens. Have you guys ever checked him out?

And finger style guitar... Michael Hedges or Andy Mckee?

2. Alvin

Hi!

Unfortunately I know too little about strictly classical guitar, but I really like Carlé Costa, who is like quasi-classical I guess...
    And Ralph Towner
    And Egberto Gismonti
    And Nelson Veras
    And of course in my opinion The Guitarist - Ted Greene!

Thank you for Roland Dyens! I love the stuff I found on yüütüüb!

All the best!
    Alvin

Magical rainbow ponies
  3. Alvin

Oh yeah... I stumbled on a beautiful quote in the web about the classical guitar:

“All the sounds of the guitar are feminine because it’s very soft and very, very delicate. They arrive with such subtlety that it is almost impossible to hear it. It is as if you thought of that sound rather than heard it.” - Andrés Segovia

4. InWalked

Tuck Andress, Charlie Hunter, Philip deGruy, Paul Galbraith, Jack West, David Starobin, Eliot Fisk

5. Sandemose

Not being a classical guitarist but an incredible fingerstyle guitarist is Ben Monder. His solopieces are absolutly fantastic, like "Still Motion", "Double Sun", "Orbits" (<-- check it out on youtube!). Ben Monder is the most beautiful incarnation of jazz tradition and contemporary music/composition. Everytime I get the chance to mention his name I do it. Ben "Mind Bender" Monder, what a fitting nick name :)

Best, Sandemose

6. Alvin

Yeah, Monder is great, can't dissagree on that!

By the way, do any of you guys use also the little finger of the picking hand when playing fingerstyle?
    I noticed that Paul is doing that in his composition "Sun". How is it working out for you, man?
    I myself have always used the picking hand "classical style", without the little one. But now I've been trying to resurrect that rudiment since spring and feeling that maybe by now it's starting being useful a little :)

I can see why it's been left out in the classical style. It's just smaller, thus producing a different tone, and its motorics are also different comparing to the other fingers. So it will probably disappear in about ten thousand years anyway...

So guys, what are your thoughts on really waking up the little finger and putting it to work instead of using it occasionally for playing 5-note chords? What do you think, is there really any point or is it just fighting with evolution?

All the best
    Alvin

7. InWalked

When doing counterpoint, I often use my pinky with my ring finger they are closest to the bridge and you can get quite a tonal separation from the round bassy thumb tone near the neck.

You must log in to post.