Getting Back on Track

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. fernandon

Hi guys, I've been reading this forum for quite some time but only now I decide to post since most question one could probably have are already answered here.
    So... here it goes... I've been playing for about 13 years, went to music school (composition), have also been playing jazz guitar for about 10 years, studied with great teachers, etc, etc... But for personal reasons I havent really played or practised for 2 years, I mean i have picked the guitar up but just for noodling or playing over some standard (mechanically at this point). Just recently I've decided to get back to it, full mode, and at least recover the level I had before. The problem is that I have no idea where to start... Scales, basslines and metronome on 2 and 4 (playing standards), Arpegios, transcribing, I have no idea. If any of You have been in a similar situation, what would be your advice? A million thanks!

F

2. meanmud

start with a song? Everything you listed is beneficial, but maybe a song or a small group of songs to get you focused.

Register
  3. I would pick get some jam tracks/band in a box, and start soloing on some blues/jazz blues.

4. JorgeRubiales

Yeah, definitely start playing, or else you'll take the risk of burning yourself out. Then try the usual, just chord tones, just chord tones + extensions, just extensions....

5. It sounds like you mostly know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it. To echo some of the advice already given, it would probably be a good idea just to start playing tunes, and use that as a format to work on your basslines, soloing, voicings, etc. with a metronome or a band in a box type program. From there, maybe just start transcribing some solos you really like. That should keep things fun, and I bet you'll get it back relatively quickly.

Kyle

Email
  6. Matt

if you were a composition major, write some tunes and find people to play them maybe?

7. Sandemose

Yeah, I would go for writing tunes, perhaps written with intention on specific areas you need to work on. Kurt did/does this all the time. At least what I read in interviews. Write music, record it, listen to yourself, enjoy it.

Best, Sandemose

8. fernandon

Thank You all for sharing. It gave me a lot of ecouragment to hear that some of my ideas weren't that off!! Maybe this can even be an opportunity to kill the old bad habits I had when playing...

Edit page
  9. Sandemose

fernandon: your ideas describe what pretty much everybody should work on...the problem is to find time to do it. At this point in life, I try to minimize the amount of areas down to time keeping and learning tunes. I have the privilegde to have a neighbour who plays double bass. He lives next door. We practice about 2 hours every saturday and I learn more from that than anything Ive done the last 5 years or so. We play a blues to warm up, in different keys everytime, and then we kinda stick with the same tunes, adding one new once in a while. I never realized how much there is to learn about form when it comes to jazz. Its overwhelming...

Best, Sandemose

10. Sandemose

Congrats by the way for finding your way back to music, and guitar playing.

You must log in to post.