Admin

Gibson 339/Godin Multiac Jazz

(2 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Hello guys,

I've been having a lot of issues with the intonation and the tuning of my Gibson 339. I bought it in September of 2010 and since then I have replaced the tuners to Grovers, and I took the guitar to a good luthier that re-carved the original nut in the guitar. He also fixed the intonation. The guitar played great for about two months and now is back where it was before. Don't get me wrong, the problems I mention are very subtle. You start noticing them when you practice your drop 2's all around the neck. Right now I am thinking that if I change the nut and get a new one carved and installed, it might fix the problem. I gig a lot and I hate to take my guitar to the shop and wait two weeks to get it back. My other guitar is a Godin Multiac Jazz which I love, but is not as versatile and the neck can be uncomfortable.

Any advice?

Thank you

Thank you!

Secret
  2. gleepglop

A new nut won't fix the problem, it only has a very minor effect on intonation unless it is misplaced (unlikely on a Gibson).
    A compensated nut (buzz feiten, earvana) might help a bit.

Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know, but the most important thing is to set the intonation at the bridge as precisely as possible with brand-new strings, and to change your strings often. Old strings are the biggest contributor to intonation problems, as they wear unevenly due to the frets and corrosion from your fingers. Gibson has a lot of flaws, but fundamental intonation problems are rarely one of them.

I have found that some Gibsons are very difficult to intonate properly if you use very light strings, but I doubt this is your problem.

Otherwise, no guitar plays perfectly in tune, the design of the instrument is fundamentally flawed. Except maybe this one:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

A different brand of strings might play nicer with one instrument or another, what are you using?

You must log in to post.