Email

Gilad Hekselman gear, interviews, anything??

(60 posts)

Tags:

1. mrzzajjazz

Well I don't know what's right or wrong when it comes to this, but still I want to thank Sandemose for uploading this very inspiring Lage-lesson. What's going on in the digital world right now is just so colossal, with sharing, copyright what should be legal what should be not and so on. And it's just interesting to think of how the whole jazz-world of today would look like if "the real book" was never written. After all the guys who wrote it were "breaking the law"..

2. jazznan

You know, Lage and all these guys should just sell their "used" lessons for sale on their website. They'd make twice as much.

3. ericost

4. chollus

I saw Gilad in france with Ari Hoenig a few days ago and he had a new guitar and a eharmonix freeze pedal... the guitar is here... i can't guess what guitar is...

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Email
  5. Quintricacy

It's a Victor Baker guitar. I also saw him in France, other pedals I remember were an mxr 12 or 16 band eq, Ibanez tube screamer and a boss digital delay.

6. samwiseGUITAR

Thanks for the upload Sandemose!

Best,
    Sam

7. samwiseGUITAR

8. jseaberry

You may like to look at the transcription page for Hekselman

http://www.quentinangus.com/

9. Quintricacy

That's cool but i don't know if I agree with charging for them.

10. Kapteinar

Yeah, Kurt charges us for his book of transcriptions, but that's kurt, and it's in a book.
    If Gilad decided to do the same thing, I would be cool with it, but this is just wrong.

11. animitta

If you need a transcription make it by yourself. period. it's not just a matter to make the sheet but the process to get there. Unluckily, you can't get it right until you make that by your own. If you need that kind of "conscious exercise".
    There are so many things to practice and play that recently i am not transcribing so much, in fact i suck : ). But i am trying to develop something really "mine". I did some transcriptions works in the years before, chronologically: some Jean Michelle Jarre, some Bach,some Paganini, some AC/DC, some Pink Floyd, some Malmsteen, some Randy Rhoads, some Vinnie Moore, some Parker, some Metheny, some Montgomery, some Coltrane, some Kurt. But the word "transcription" does not explain the product i had from this process. I never wrote down something except some really fews that i have not "metabolized".
    All i did about transcriptions lives inside me, for the the good and for the bad. You can't have the same outcome just reading or trying to read someone's other transcriptions. To transcribe it's the first way to develop your ear. Nothing matter more, making music, than a good developed and well trained ear. You can't have this kind of ear without transcribing with your ears, hands, brain, heart, body and soul.

All the Best
    Animitta

12. y

e

s

13. jorgemg1984

I agree with animitta, if you want a solo transcribe yourself - but I actually like to write it down. I know a lot of people dont like to do it but for me it real helps me to analyse things, theres a lot I just understand when I see the notes on the staff. And I also think if you can read really well its cool to read solos from the omnibook, you can learn a lot in just 5 minutes (but only horn players can do this)

14. animitta

@jorgemg1984
    Don't get me wrong, if you can write down the transcription and you have the time, it's absolutely better than "just" learn to play that. But more important is to sing by voice what you transcribed, with or without your instrument. At least for me, i found the singing aspect really important.

Sorry to be off topic.

All the Best
    Animitta

15. jorgemg1984

Yes, I agree, memorizing, singing and playing over it are the most important parts. I just mentioned a lot of people skip the writing it down part and I think they skip an important step, analyzing things from an intellectual perspective is as important as intuition for me.

But doing it yourself is definitely the most important part. I remember having a real hard time transcribing chord changes and I always had to rely on real books or one of my teachers to have the changes for a song. One day I decided I had to work hard on that and it really paid off - although it was a very frustrating process. Its still hard for me to transcribe tunes with real hard harmonies (like some Kurts tunes) but standards or pop songs I can transcribe really easy, and I now realize how bad the real books are. If you rely on other to transcribe for you, solos or chord changes, you will never develop your ears.

16. slyzspyz

hi everyone, my first post here - I had a lesson with Gilad earlier this year, as far as I can recall he said it was ok to record the lesson as long as I keep it to myself and don't post it or give it away to others....

17. JorgeRubiales

Well, it's clear now. So please, if you can, remove the links to any gilad lesson. It's not right...

18. slyzspyz

Me again, I've been in touch with Lage and Gilad in the past couple of days and can confirm that neither of them are happy with private lessons being made available. These guys aren't millionaires and teaching possibly accounts for a significant portion of their livelihood; you're giving away their intellectual property without their consent, it could be argued it's the same as uploading an album (I'm hoping you wouldn't do THAT, right?)

19. guitar

I agree, I think that it is disrespectful to the artist to go to a lesson, record it, then give it away online. These guys work really hard to make a living and they provide us with amazing music, and great instruction that is inspiring and really WORTH something. I believe that if you really love the music and these players, buy their recordings and pay for their lessons. Giving away this stuff should not be happening on a site like this...I have way too much respect for Kurt, Gilad, Lage and all the other amazing guitarists that are moving this music forward.

20. jazzacast55

Hi everyone, I never traded any lesson with anyone so I'm not too sure what this post is turning into, sorry for the misunderstanding. cheers

21. jazznan

I don't think it would be any problem to write down ideas from the lesson, like work on these triads or voicings on this tune etc...That's what has always happened through out history is sharing ideas and passing knowledge down, you don't have to post the lesson, but you can share the knowledge.

22. jazzacast55

Is this all about the guy who posted the Lage Lund lesson? I don't think there are any other lessons uploaded

23. skoczenty

" he talked a bit about how to practice, build exercises, make ur own sound, bebop lines, phrasing, and drop 2 voicings "

could You write something more about this?

Ps. Sandemose can You send me Lage Lund mp3 lesson?

Best Regards

24. skoczenty

???

25. Not to make the moral dilemma anymore difficult(... As I find it completely laughable how some have wanted to receive copies of that MI clip - it all started so deferential to Kurt and his wishes yet when there was no reply directly from Kurt they said fuck it , let's see it, send it share it. Totally pathetic ).
    scozenty,have you considered that you are being rather foolish in requesting this lage thing and then a week later posting these passive aggressive little question marks? As if the person has to blatantly ask you for your contact info ( which you provide nowhere ) in order to perform a questionable transgression they may wrestle with in sharing something- as if this is not enough, they must also out themselves and publicly declare " sure dude, I'll totally share this thing I've been asked here not to share... What's your email?".
    ... Just sayin.

26. skoczenty

27. H

A

H

A

!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. LeonardoB

Anybody knows what kinda amp he's using in this vid?

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Couldn't figure out myself!

29. jbroad

the amp in the video looks like a tone king metropolitan

http://www.toneking.com/products/metro/index.html

30. LeonardoB

Thanks jbroad!

You must log in to post.