Magical rainbow ponies

Good chords to move up and down diatonically?

(8 posts)

No tags yet.

1. silverwater

You guys know any good structures to move up and down through a 7 note scale (maj, mel min, har min, har maj)? Other than 4ths and inversions of 4ths

I'm thinking 4 note structures, no repeating tones, and avoiding voicing the precise notes of a 7th chord (sounds better when moving around inside a chord)

So far I've got two I like. The first is very common, from bottom to top the intervals are a 5th, a 3rd, and a 3rd (all diatonic).

Example in C maj, moving down: x-x-10-12-12-10 x-x-9-10-10-8 x-x-7-9-8-7 x-x-5-7-6-5 (etc...)

The other one from top to bottom is a 3rd, a 2nd, and a 4th:

x-x-14-12-10-10 x-x-12-10-8-8 x-x-10-9-6-7 x-x-9-7-5-5 (etc...)

2. Thiago

This is not that different from your second structure. They might even sound good together.
    From top to bottom: 6th, 2nd and a 4th.

x-x-10-14-12-12 x-x-9-12-10-10 x-x-7-10-8-8 and so on...

3. jon damian's palette chart for intervals is great . also, van eps books. of course the new goodrick/miller addresses these concerns too.
    there are many. firstly, i prefer to discuss test intervals from bottom to top ( as for the sake of consistency if you truly are viewing it in the direction you mentioned then that third is a sixth and bla bla...)
    1). skipping every other string ( 2 sets : e, d, b strings and then a,g,e strings- playing a seventh and then from that higher note building a seventh again)... i like this one for the leaps or space that the structure has and ironically that they are in a sense a backwards expression of a cluster spread out.
    2).on the top 4 strings from low to high: a 4th,a second and a sixth ; this is a triad with an added fourth ( low to high: e,a,b,g,). holds worth uses this ( in harmonic minor on the bridge of letters of marque in a descending fashion.
    3).top 4 strings ( low to high )3,2,4 : d,f,g,c... ( sometimes when learning these structures, its easier to orient yourself by thinking of the shapes once you've learned them from the perspective of the highest notes ; that way you start to learn the shape of any note of the scale and if you were to use this kind of thinking over tunes you can more easily see where melody notes fall or have the shapes for a key at your disposal to choose from arbitrarily). this one has some stretches but not too bad.
    4) seconds and fourths: cdg ( low to high )seconds and fifths (cad).
    5). playing pentatonic scales diatonically on 3 adjacent strings: d on g string, e on b string and g on high e string. the intervals are close and the space between or leaps feel good . .. kind of like pedal steel or something. also learn them on the 3 adjacent strings sets across the neck too 123,234,456... for some sets ,keys, or positions it may be difficult or not possible depending on what you can grab but its a cool device. pentatonics ( as you may have seen in other books or records or vibes ) can show tensions and extensions by having succinct little bundles ( melodically/ harmonically ) that can help one state with concision certain vibes with out having to whip through an entire 8 note thing and by also displacing the familiar structure or tonality by a chosen distance.

4. ... by the way , forum admins... nice touch with the required math thingie. it freaked me out initially as i haven't commented in a while but i sense we will be seeing less covert spam adds for various products and companies... before i left Facebook i started uploading pictures of my ugly beaten up shoes in response to those photos for designer sneakers that it seems that many jazz players on Facebook were tagged in.

5. silverwater

You guys rule, thanks a bunch. Thiago FYI I'm having an easier time playing the lowest note of that structure on the 5th string....

Contact us
  6. Thiago

Hey silverwater, just experimented you suggestion about the digitation. Easier for me too. Thanks!

Floatingbridge, I didn't know Jon Damian's book until you mention it. I downloaded the book and definitely gonna buy it. Lots of responses to my questions in there. Thanks for your nice post!

7. cruxtable

if you haven't checked out vic juris's book on modern harmony, it's all about structures through scales. there's seven different ones in the book he focuses on

8. hi everyone
    this has been my favorite recently..

(descending)
    e---a--d---g--b--e
    19-19-x-17-20-x
    17-17-x-16-18-x
    15-15-x-14-17-x
    13-14-x-12-15-x
    12-12-x-10-13-x
    10-10-x-9-12-x
    8-8-x-7-10-x
    8-8-x-6-9-x *opt. Db