Email

Good technique book

(19 posts)

No tags yet.

1. balowski

Hi,

I´m searching for a good book with exercises for improve technique.

Are there some books that you like to share.?

Thanks

2. JorgeRubiales

Well, there's one for classical guitar, but i think you could use it as a fingerstyle electric guitar book. Plus, it has really nice excercises for both hands. It's called "Kitharologus: the path to virtuosity" from Ricardo Iznaola.

I reccomend you get the latest edition, in the first one there are some errors in fingerings.

See ya!

3. Matt

The Real Book?
    Joke/
    I have always found that solo transcriptions and getting creative with scales and arpeggios work extremely well for technical development.

4. Mauro Guliani's 120 exercises is a classical book that mark whitfield used, playing the arpeggios with his pick instead of the classical right hand technique. You can find it online, free a lot of the time. the first 8 exercises are the ones that he used, i believe. Also, Andrew Green's Jazz Guitar Technique is pretty good.

5. jazznan

6. sortell

balowski can you be more specific what exactly you are looking for ?

7. balowski

Sortell,

Exercises with arpeggios, permutations, etudes similar to the east coast love affair intro....All that stuff.

I have differents books but, there quite simple.

Thanx for asking.

8. Matt

You could make up your own exercises.
    If you want to practice arpeggios, what about them makes you feel the need to practice them?
    What about the east coast love affair makes you want to practice it?
    To me, technique is a huge, huge area of study (one that never is finished studying), and there's no one way to practice it, and to me, no books are necessarily necessary :)

9. Sandemose

Im with Matt on this one. I would (and I do) come up with exercises myself. I think playing/practicing chords is often forgotten as a technical problem. Mostly linnear stuff is focused when people talk about technuiqe. My routine is kinda like this:

Practice arpeggios (over six strings) diatonically (up/down the neck) starting on the root, third, and the fifth. I use a specific fingering to avoid glissando when doing transitions between the arpeggios.

Practice linnear scale excercises, at this moment, I only practice scale by playing thirds (ascending/decsending). I dont have time for more of that so thirds will do for the moment. I like the sound and it feels so much better when playing scales up and down after just practicing thirds (over six strings, in position).

I practice fourth intervals (over six strings, and four strings), no barring.

Practice chord structures (not many) diatonically (common, no crazy stuff).

Practice heads on tunes.

Best, Sandemose

10. JorgeRubiales

There's also a nice video, John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Not a jazz guy, but definitely worth check out if you're looking for some new exercisees. There must be some snippets on youtube...

11. Sandemose

I bought John Petruccis video when I was 13 years old. Its awesome and it laid down some good foundation on my technuiqe when I was younger. I hadnt even seen a metronome before I bought the video so I learned much about that from the video. The way he approaches praticing is nice as well, using categories and composing small etudes for specific areas.

best, Sandemose

12. Benny

'Modern Chords' by Vic Juris. Some BIG stretches required!

Jimmy Bruno's 'Art of Picking'.

And it's cheesy looking now, but Frank Gambale's 'Chop Builder' DVD is a heck of a workout.

13. Matt

I remember a quote (not verbatim, nor do i know the creator) that says -

'practice is about finding what makes you better; how you develop and learn. Once you find that, nothing can hold you back.'

14. I own a book called "Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians" by Bert Ligon and would recommend it. The exercizes are actually made up out of licks transcribed from solos, so its really about developing a "realistic" jazz vocabulary. The funny thing about this book and also every other technique book is that you need three months or something for getting through one page (in a reasonable way) and you'll probably never finish the whole thing. Switching exercizes way too fast is a common mistake, so be aware of that.

15. sortell

balowski, I also recommend the same book the "dude" mentioned. It is a great book, but the book is written for all instruments and is NOT a guitar technique book. You are not going to get any picking or fingering exercise from this book.

16. david6strings

right now im checking the bert ligon book you mentioned. by far one of the best jazz books i've ever seen. nothing more to say.

17. Benny

I'm currently working from 'Jazz Guitar Technique' by Andrew Green. All three of his books are excellent.
    http://chopsfactory.com/

18. Yadayada

I´m working on the first couple of exercises in the George Van Eps book "Harmonic Mechanisms vol. 1". Good triad exercises that get my mind going. It´s a heavy book and like some others i don´t think i will ever "finish" the book but even for just for finding inspirations for practice ideas it´s great.

19. andyjazz

Paganini's "Perpetual Motion"
    The exercises in the Klose Clarinet Method Book
    Bach's "Sonatas and Partitas"
    Etudes by Kreutzer, Rode, and Dont
    Marcel Moyses' transcription of the Chopin Etudes for flute

You must log in to post.