Guitar method book suggestions for newbie!

(16 posts)

No tags yet.

1. timpap

Hello to everybody,
    This is my first post here although I have been following the forum for quite a while! I've been playing blues and rock on guitar for years and now I wanna go into jazz. I have started studying the following books: Mick Bakery jazz guitar method, Jody Fishe jazz guitar method, Jamey Abersold vo. 1 and Mel Bay’s Deluxe Encyclopedia of Jazz Guitar Runs, Fills, Licks & Lines. What do you think about those books? Do you have any other better method book to suggest? I kinda feel that those books are a bit obsolete and im really confused.

Thanks in advance!
    Tim

Magical rainbow ponies
  2. 111

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but if you have access to a teacher that could help especially if you've gained some ground in the books you mentioned. It's great to have the challenge of having to play for someone who is listening and can help guide you. I look at it like I'm learning a language and need to have some practical conversation. You know, learning by making and correcting errors. Consider Skype or something like...well Tim Miller has a great online course. As far as books, George Van Eps, Mick Goodrick, there a number previously discussed elsewhere on this forum which was helpful to me. Barry Finerty has a couple books. Good luck.

Edit page
  3. timpap

Thank you for your answer. The truth is that i really want to get a teach, I actually had a teacher for about 5 months last year. But due to my studies I want be able to be at the same city the whole year so I cant start something. At some point im gonna get a teacher but till then i wanted to get the basics. What do you think about the books ive mentioned? Any other suggestions?

4. timpap

Thank you for your answer. The truth is that i really want to get a teach, I actually had a teacher for about 5 months last year. But due to my studies I want be able to be at the same city the whole year so I cant start something. At some point im gonna get a teacher but till then i wanted to get the basics. What do you think about the books ive mentioned? Any other suggestions?

5. docbop

A Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavett Vol1-3 is a classic that builds a solid foundation to go anywhere on guitar. Is it not the most exciting book, its about doing serious learning. It will develop your sight-reading, technique, fretboard knowledge. Most teachers are familiar with the book so when you have a teacher they can help you work through it. Also if you can find someone else who wants to work though it there are lots of duets to play.

6. timpap

Thanks for your answer! Ive already been through the first book of those. That happened last year. I didnt really like all the chords and the way they showed the scales but all the duets are awesome. Should i continue with vo.2 and 3? Are they rewarding?

7. silverwater

I went through all 3 Bill Leavitt books. Sometimes it's hard to see the applications and the presentation is dry, but yes it is rewarding and I highly recommend all three. I was a teenager at the time, and it helped that I went through them with a private teacher to push me. On one of the pages of chords in book 3, I still have a note my teacher wrote in to mock me: "Jon doesn't need to practice these", because I came in one week without practicing the assigned page and said "I don't need to practice this stuff". I'll never forget that.

If you can get through all three you'll have some serious skills at your disposal. However I'm wondering if at this point if there has been a method series made that can rival the Bill Leavitt series that I could get my students to go through, anyone know?

Mick Goodrick's Modern Method for Guitar is the perfect companion for the Bill Leavitt series I believe, since it deals a lot with non-position playing, and Bill focuses mostly on positions.

Other than that, Tim Miller's site is awesome and definitely worth subscribing too. Joe Pass "Guitar Style" is good, Jon Damian's book on improvisation and composition, Bill Hart's Chord Melody Method, Omnibook for Guitar (was double good for me to learn how to finger a lot of bop stuff), Ted Reed's drum book for rhythm work, and one can never go wrong with the any of the Bergonzi books.

Also, I'd suggest developing a daily ear training routine NOW. Check out Bruce Arnold's One Note Ear Training Series, and later his Conceptual Ear Training. Some people don't like Relative Pitch Ear Training by David Lucas Burge, but it helped (and is helping) me a lot.

8. jbroad

silverwater- i think you meant mick goodrick's "the advancing guitarist"

9. jazznan

Jon Damian's book is excellent. Takes a lot of what Goodrick wrote and makes it less esoteric.

10. The palette chart from the Damian book ( ...if you take the time using the blank fingerboard chart in the back and photo copy it or use your own fingering chart ... Or not ); that chart alone is worth the price of the book. It is such a coherent way of organizing all of these interesting pathways of dealing with or superimposing other harmony.
    The Tim miller/goodrick book's table for organizing the remaining six notes ( once a root or tonal center is omitted ) takes the already organized information from the Damian book and further classifies the structures and pairs them with others to yield a further deepening of potential applications and context for cool newish sounding structures- to reorganize material in a way that sounds different. This is the tip of the iceberg... Just watch that Tim miller YouTube of him rubic's curbing around that shit on the fly. Those structures stand on their own and are sooo cool. The difficult or daunting thing ( for me ) is the task of organizing, assimilating and digesting this stuff- beyond playing the examples , really internalizing this material and being able to navigate this stuff on my own ... That is going to be the long haul task and challenge along with other things that have nothing to do with this that are deserving of further attention!
    I think there is a ridiculous amount of information between these two particular and specific resources from these two books to work on for quite a while . I can't see it getting distilled further than these pages for this stuff.

11. i should clarify that my previous comment was in response to and a further elaboration of the last couple of comments citing the goodrick/ miller book and the damian book as great resources. they are, no doubt. as far as the inquiry and title of this thread they may not be the best way to start. the leavitt books and all the other suggestions were really great. a teacher who can nudge you along the way is really crucial. there is nothing like walking into a room and catching your teacher noodling or working things out as you head into your lesson... it can be so inspiring to hear a person who has some stuff going on 2 feet in front of you! to be able to ask them questions, make them slow motion go through something, to just hear them rip or comp or wield harmonic/melodic stuff like nobody's business - to see what happens if you put the time in and the rewards of that the facility on the instrument and moreover the critical ear: after steeping yourself in some stuff, having that quick access to harmonic information to lay out or respond to other stimuli in the moment is really profound. checking in with someone weekly ( or whenever you can afford when you're an adult ) who can inspire you and expose you to other stuff; who can humor and pulverize any notions of what one thinks is the "deep shit" that week is super important.again, not to say that you can't get anything from these books at this phase ( as a lot of this learning is not linear and there could be things that work for your learning style) , it just might not be crucial for the initial phases of development .

12. silverwater

Yeah definitely meant "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick...

13. herrlein

Dear Friends,

Please, check this book !

Every chord is there !

“This book is unique in that it applies combinatorial approach to harmony with materials generally known to the jazz improvisor, thus casting a new and exciting light on a familiar subject. It is also the only book I have seen of its kind to be so guitar-friendly. I am finding a vast store of possibilities here, and I am very grateful to Julio Herrlein for providing them.”

Ben Monder

“Julio Herrlein has put together a very comprehensive overview of his approach to harmony and improvisation. His text is filled with useful and practical tools that will be very valuable to any serious student. Highly recommended.”

John Stowell

“Julio Herrlein’s Combinatorial Harmony book reveals all the possible combinations of notes and harmonic situ- ations you’ll need in order to be a creative and unique musician, regardless of the style you play. One of the best things about this book is that it really inspires you to come up with your own ideas. It shows the student all the different colors and canvases you have available, but you’re the one that has to paint it! I’m sure many serious guitarists (and other musicians) will benefit from this definitive work!”

Gustavo Assis-Brasil Music

What we see in this book is heavy artillery! Valuable information, deeply detailed and illustrated in order to bring both the student and the experienced musician the opportunity to experience harmony and all its combinatorial relations in a logical and effective way.
    A good tree is one that produces good fruit, and the musical examples presented by Julio Herrlein in this book prove that. The tasteful exercises in this book demonstrate the genius of this virtuoso guitarist, who has now generously shared with us his knowledge.

Nelson Faria - Oficial

COMBINATORIAL HARMONY - CONCEPTS AND TECHNIQUES FOR COMPOSING AND IMPROVISING (BY JULIO HERRLEIN) is a unique and complete system for exploring endless musical possibilities in any style. This book is a must for the contemporary musician. Despite being a guitar-friendly book with a complete mapping of the fretboard, the book is also useful for improvisers, arrangers, composers, theorists and students interested in the combinatorial approach to music. About 1,000 different voicings in all positions and drops are presented, including complete 3-note and 4-note voicings with specially designed guitar diagrams. The book also includes all triad-pairs (hexatonics) and their combinations in melodic exercises. The book presents brand new "combinatorial voice-leading", for 21st century chorale writing and contrapuntal exploring for any instrument or arrangement. In 312 pages, the book provides a vast store of material for compositional and improvisational use.

http://www.melbay.com/Products/30042BCD/combinatorial-harmony-concepts-and-techniques-for-composing-and-improvising.aspx

14. NJanoff

Wow Julio looks very interesting!!!!

NJ

15. Benny

Timpap,
    You've got a LOT of information between the books you list in your original post. With all the information out there, there's always a risk of becoming overwhelmed. Your money would be better served getting a teacher to check out your playing and advise on the best way to build on the blues and rock skills you already have. If you can't commit to regular in-person lessons, I really suggest that you sign up with one of the online guitar schools. I'm with Sheryl Bailey's 'Bebop Dojo' (highly recommended!); there are also sites from Jimmy Bruno, Corey Christensen, Andreas Oberg, Tim Miller and a number of others.

16. patfarlow

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

this dude has some of the best lessons for purchase ive ever owned.

You must log in to post.