Guitar Specs

(7 posts)

No tags yet.

1. egav

Hey guys, I'm getting a guitar built and I was wondering what is a good option for specs as far as these go. What I'm looking for is a guitar that sounds great plugged in, that cleanly, I can get something close to an acoustic sound. At the same time, I want to have something I can plug in, get loud, and also run effects through it, including POGs, Freeze pedals, and even a little muff or overdrive. I need something that won't feedback.

The guitar is going to be a carved top, with what the guy says is a floating block in order to keep the guitar from vibrating, so I believe feedback won't be much of an issue. The pickups are also sunken in so it even helps more. Still, here are my questions:

The body can be either 14'' to 16''. I'm not sure about the depth, but it's a about the same depth as a Sadowsky Jim Hall. I believe the larger body size will be of better acoustic sound, but the smaller will feedback less, but give me less acoustic sound. Although it will also be easier to travel with. I was thinking 15 was a good middle point, but what are your thoughts on 14?
    The scale length (what I'm thinking about the most) is either 25 or 24 3/4. I don't know where to go with this. I know longer scales are harder to play, but they also have richer tone. I don't know how much the difference between 24 3/4 to 25 will affect it, but does anyone know? I'm kind of leaning to the 24 3/4 because my current guitar is 24 3/4 and I guess I'm used to it.

So, as far as sound, what do you recommend?

2. fakejake

My honest reply to your question would be ‘why would you want a custom made guitar if you don’t know what specs you want??’ To me, having a guitar made to your own needs and specs only makes sense if you know exactly what you want and can’t get that from any guitar available from stock. If you’re not sure whether a 14’’, 15’’ or 16’’ body fits you best, what scale length you prefer (huge difference there between 24.75 and 25.5) and the overall construction that gives you the best balance between accoustic and electric properties, then I’d say give it a little more time, try some of the more affordable instruments (Ibanez, Epiphone…) shop around and see what fits your needs best in terms of gigging, portability, weight, feedback handling etc... Then go and have that instrument built. Just my 2cents….

3. smoke

So, as far as sound, what do you recommend?

Not having something built until you know exactly what you want and why.

4. egav

Well, that's mainly why I'm asking, I want to pretty much know the difference in sound and all that between the specs. Regardless if I'm getting a factory built guitar, something more unique, or a custom instrument, I still want to know what does what. I know there's a difference in sound and feel between all the different specs, I just don't know exactly how much different it makes whether I get a bigger/smaller body size, or a longer/shorter scale length.

5. Basile865

My vote is for a PRS hollow body. They are extremely versatile and with that piezo pickup you can do a convincing acoustic - (if steel string acoustic tone is what you meant) and it has a 25 inch scale. Not too much longer then your gibson scale which you're used to. Not only that but if you end up not digging it - you can sell it and get something else. That would be harder to do with a custom built piece. Not to downplay getting something built - its an awesome thing - but I'm worried it may be too early for you if you're not positive on the details in terms of just scale length and body width.

Get your hands on as many different guitars as you can and see what feels right. Gibson scale is 24.75, Fender is 25.5, and PRS is right in the middle at 25. I personally think scale doesnt really effect tone that much if at all. Its a comfort thing. Pickups, Amp, and your own touch will have more input on that.

6. docbop

I'm with the others if you don't know the spec's or have specific questions on spec's you aren't ready for a custom guitar. In fact at this point what you want probably already exists without paying the $$$ for a custom guitar. From what you describe I would say any nice semi-hollow body should meet your criteria.

Find a guitar you like playing and spend some quality seat time with it, you'll find the guitar's voice and your own.

7. JorgeRubiales

In my experience, the perfect guitar doesn't exist. Either go for a semi or a laminate archtop, or go all the way to a nice acoustic sounding archtop with all the feedback it gets. If you step in the middle you may not be 100% happy with either option (which, for me, is the primary concern when you go custom route, to have a 100% "right" guitar for the job).

You must log in to post.