Register

Harmonic Study Forum

(6 posts)
  1. Basile865

I wanted to bounce this idea off everyone. I dont know if anyone would be interested, if it already exists, or if this wouldn't be a good place for it - however, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a forum section that dealt with the study of harmony and categorically broke it down? You could have a section for Major, Minor, Harmonic Minor, Whole Tone, Diminished, etc. areas of study. In each sub-category people could post clips of music highlighting a section in which the artist was really using a great application of whatever that tonality was, really exploring it and patternizing it in interesting ways. There also could be a section in which the poster wouldn't know what tonality group something belonged to and people could help him/her understand it and put it in their ear.

I realize theres probably books like this and of course college courses but something online would be more accessible, not to mention they could constantly be updated with new musical fragment links. If something like this does exist please let me know!

I've found myself lately pausing movies because the background music has some musical combination that I've never heard before and somehow it strangely works? I guess it would fall under some kind of polyphony.

I'm just a guy trying to open his ear but I think this would be so exciting to have a community to go to where we could broaden our resources and command of our instrument.

2. Harmony is definately where it's at...well..after Rhythm.

There is a lot of material out there covering the harmonic implications of the scales you mention.
    Mick Goodrick's 'The Advancing Guitarist"is essential reading, and Bret Willmott's "The Complete Book of Harmony, Theory and Voicing" and Don Mock's Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor and Diminished series I would recommend checking out too.

3. jorgemg1984

I still have to find a decent harmony book to tell you the truth.... most stuff I've learned was in real life. It would be interesting to have an online forum dedicated to that, no doubt. But something advanced...

4. Benny

There's a music theory section over at the Allaboutjazz forum and plenty of harmony gets discussed on the jazzguitar.be forum. Some heavy musicians contributing on both forums.

5. docbop

I used to read and post a lot on harmony and theory sites, but finally gave up I got tied of the constant arguments. My learned H&T in Jazz oriented schools and guitar teachers. But you go online especially these day a lot of traditional music educated people and they have meltdowns mainly over terminology. They even start fighting with each other over which books terminology is "correct". Bottom line the theory is all the same just different labels get put on things. This was frustrating because I would see noobs finally decide to learn H&T and get scared off because there questions would turn into flame wars over terminology.

Again all the H&T is the same be it Bach or Bebop or Beiber the terms used are different but what they are doing is the same things. I studied composition and the teacher to get the rocker players attention used Beatles and some Pop music for examples to some traditional H&T topics. Hal Galper is teach Jazz for starts showing how Bach interpreted time. Traditional H&T talks about neighbor tones and uses a couple other terms, talk to a Jazz improv teacher and they will be talking approach notes and melodic embellishments. All the same stuff just different terms.

So find a book for your level that the authors style of writing works for you. Get teacher to work with you its cool to see how this stuff applies. No teacher find someone else interested in learning H&T so you have someone to discuss the things your studying. Two or more heads are good to study and discuss how each see it. If you know your basics and ready to move on then Mark Levines book Jazz Theory is good with lots of Jazz examples. Bert Ligon books are real good. Bert teaches at USC (Univ of South Carolina) and some of his material is available for download free. If you are really interested you'll find the information its just a Google away.

6. silverwater

I agree that people can become too wrapped up in terminology for their own good, and knowing what to name things doesn't mean you're going to be a good player. However having the "correct" terminology can be useful. The name itself can help someone conceptualize and contextualize the idea, which can provide for greater understanding and application, as well as be helpful when wanting to teach the idea to someone else.

I've come across many examples in harmonic analysis though which I've felt were just six of one, half dozen of the other.

You must log in to post.