Humbucker for jazz guitar

(24 posts)
  1. Sandemose

I searched the forum, but couldnt find anything. If there already have been a discussion about this, Im sorry.

I am thinking about getting a new neck pick up for my Höfner (Verythin). Anyone have any tips on what to look for? I know nothing about this kinda stuff.

Thanks in advance,

/Sandemose

2. Lindy fraylin

3. animitta

Seymour Duncan 59, i have these on my ibanez ags 83 and i really enjoy them:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/59_model_sh1_an/

All the Best
    Animitta

Secret
  4. jorgemg1984

Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday

5. aramaya

I have a hofner verythin as well. I was told that I would have to modify the guitar to put a different pickup in.
    I ended up buying an MXR 10 band EQ instead. Is yours one that has the single coil sound at 9-10 on the tone knobs?
    I found good tones by blending neck/bridge. bridge on single coil with volume down, neck tone 0 volume all the way up.

I have a second verythin that someone modified the capacitors/tone pots in and sounds incredible, however the one I play regularly plays 100% better. hope this is helpful in some fashion.

If I would have changed the pickups it would have been tvjones powertrons or magnatron.

6. JPMike

Gibson Classic '57

7. Sandemose

This is the one I have:

Aramaya: in what way would you have to modify the guitar? Sounds really strange, and not so funny. Dont know about that single coil sound.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

/Sandemose

8. LeonardoB

I am about to change the neck pickup too, and I'll probably go for a Seymour Duncan 59.

Initially I thought of getting an expensive one, maybe handcrafted, like these (Haussel pickups can come in stock with a Schottmuller guitar, if you ask for them)

http://www.haeussel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=13&lang=en

but since I don't want to spend too much and the 59s are solid best-sellers providing high quality at low prices, that is most likely going to be my choice.
    I guess if you have time and money to spend, go out and search for the thing that thoroughly satisfies you (I bet those Haussel would), but if you seek to go rather cheap and not worry too much because after all you're buying a reliable humbucker, the 59 is a most solid option.

Regards,
    LeonardoB

9. denjz

I really like Lollar Imperials:
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=humbucker-pickups

10. aramaya

I see. this is the one I have (not my picture). http://semihollowbodyguitar.org/hofner-verythin-classic-semi-hollow-body-electric-guitar/19238

TvJones pickups magnatron would be my choice! with the humbucker mount.

11. fakejake

I'd go for Classic 57 as well. Even the vintage-geeks at the Les Paul Forum recommend them for 335's. And those are the guys spending 400+ bucks just for vintage-correct looking pickup RINGS!!!

12. jazznan

I have Lollar Imperials and I love 'em. I also have played Gibson 57's and they sound great too.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/tag/lollar-imperial/
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=humbucker-pickups

13. JorgeRubiales

Sandemose, my advice is to first identify what is bothering you about your current pickups, and what would you want to do about it (in terms of frequencies and gain of the pickup).

The classic 57, seymour duncan 59, dimarzio paf 36th anniversary are variations of the same design, and in general are affordable and can sound nice for jazz.

There are the so-called "boutique" makers, such as lollar, barenuckles, lindy fralin, and many others; which essentially make their version of the same design. Some sound great, some sound about the same as the cheaper ones.

14. david6strings

gibson classic vintage 57 was my update for my sheraton II. of course is a 480 euros guitar new, say in thomann. is the update worth? yes. was that the best option. i really dont know. i'd say my guitar always sound too much mid-range, can i balance that with a correct choice of humbuckers or is another different thing, up to an equlizer pedal. i really dont know. i just can say classic 57 are just fine. take care with these humbuckers, there are two models classic vintage and classic plus. people means the vintage one when they talk about the classic 57

15. Sandemose

Jorge: good point there.

The main problem is that I think the guitar lacks definition and string. Tone is kinda muddy rather than warm.

So my main goal is to find a pick up that delivier a more natural string-sound, better balanced, with clearer definition.

Great advice everyone, thanks again!

16. fakejake

I've posted this repeatedly on this forum and will say it again now: Pots, capacitors, switches, the whole electric in almost all but the really expensive, high range guitars are of inferior quality. If you try new pickups, do yourself a favor and exchange the electrics as well. In modern guitars, the pots usually read 300k, which makes them suck ALOT of highs and the guitars sound dull and lack of punch and definition. High quality 500k CTS pots, .022 capacitors, a switchcraft pickup selector and good cables will make a huge difference, even with your stock pickups. I've done that mod in all of my hubuckerd guitars and I always hear a clear difference. You can either buy the parts quite cheap and solder them together yourself, or get a prewired assembly for a little more. I'd try that before start spending big monex on pickups...

17. jorgemg1984

I agree 100% with new pots and caps; and since you're already there replace the wire and do a shielding.

In my experience the Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday is 20€ or 30€ more expensive than the Classic 57 and it's a better pikcup.

18. david6strings

thanks for the info fakejake. hey sandmose i had the same muddy sound problem. replacing the humbuckers don't resolve the entire problem but now is much better in that aspect

19. jorgemg1984

Sandemose what amp are you using by the way? Turning down the bass does not help you?

20. Sandemose

I use a Peavey Classic, but will probably change amp in the future to a solid state (AER or something like that). I tweak it every day, never really satisfied...

Thanks Fakejake for that advice. I have a friend who is a guitar technician so I can get help replacing all the electronics I think. I will def. look more into that.

Best, Sandemose

21. jorgemg1984

Sandemsoe if you can try the guitar with other amp - if the it's not muddy anymore you found the origin of the problem. When i talked about electronics I forgot to check your guitar; in theory your Hofner should have nice stock electronics but it's worth checking it out.

22. Klatu

You shouldn't need to modify your guitar to fit new pickups into it. My guess is that the person who told you that your instrument needed to be modified probably thought that you had the German made version of the Verythin (the Classic or Standard). These German made models have unusual pickup rings and pickup sizes. The pickups are not full size pickups; rather, they are mini humbucker size or just slightly larger than typical mini humbucker size. The rings are also unusual in the sense that they don't puncture the top of the guitar. They are fixed to the top and hold the humbucker in a floating position above the top. The pickup height isn't regulated via screws which nudge the pickup up or down; rather, they put pressure on the side of the pickup in order to suspend it in place.

I've got the Verythin Classic and wouldn't think of swapping out the pickup. If I were so unsatisfied with it's sound, I'd probably sell it and get another before attempting to modify the instrument.

Congratulations on the guitar. I have only heard good things about the Hofners produced outside of Germany.

23. gleepglop

The main problem is that I think the guitar lacks definition and string. Tone is kinda muddy rather than warm.

So my main goal is to find a pick up that delivier a more natural string-sound, better balanced, with clearer definition.

Many stock humbuckers are wax potted, which isn't necessarily bad (it reduces microphonic feedback), but it does tend to choke the sound a bit if overdone (which is often the case with less expensive pickups). The other issue with humbuckers is that the two coils need to be slightly mismatched so that the phase cancellation responsible for eliminating the hum doesn't also eliminate desirable frequencies.

Both of these aspects are considered by the smaller makers (if potting, they are generally careful to go as light as possible, and will go unpotted if asked). The original PAFs were all unpotted. To me, it just has a more open and natural sound.
    If you use a lot of distortion at high volumes, you should use potted pickups, though.

The other issue is output, high output pickups tend to overdrive the preamp section of some amps more easily, making it difficult to get a real clean sound. Of course this depends on how high the output is and the design of the amp (solid state amps usually tolerate hot pickups better). The old PAFs were usually low-output by modern standards.

There are a lot of good pickups makers and companies that produce good sounding pickups, you don't have to spend a mint. This guy made a custom pickup for me to my exact specs and it was killer, about $100.
    http://smitspickups.com/

Believe it or not, I got a pair humbuckers from GFS to try, and they sound amazing. I am not 100% on their quality control though, so I expect that they vary more than others.

I've heard a lot of good things about these, but haven't tried them:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Golden_Age_Parsons_Street_Humbuckers.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=5400

And the Duncan 59s are a good choice as well, but the Duncan Seth Lover is similar but not potted (more like a true PAF)--I have these in another guitar and they are great pickups.

I also have Gibson Classic 57s in my L4 and a Gibson 490r in my ES165; the 57s sound better than the 490r IMO, but the Duncan and the Smits are better than the 57s: better definition in the low end, not boomy, clear high end without being harsh, articulate mids.

Of course Lollar are great, as are many of the other well-known boutique guys, if you want to drop that kind of cash I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

24. Neither

So, Sandemose, what did you choose ?

You must log in to post.