Hunter: You look good in orange

(8 posts)
  1. jazznan

anyone want to help me figure out the chord progression to this song? i'm finding it quite difficult......

2. jazznan

this is the song:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Video

3. Poparad

Intro: Cmaj

Head/First Solo:
    | Cmaj | Abmaj | Fmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Cmaj | Abmaj | Fmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Dbmaj | Dbmaj | Ab7 | Ab7 |
    | Emaj | Bmaj | Ebmin | Ab7 |
    | Dbmaj | Amaj | Gbmaj | Dmaj |
    | Dbmaj | Amaj | Gbmaj | Dmaj |
    | Dmaj | Dmaj | A7 | A7 |
    | Fmaj | Cmaj | Emin | A7 |
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Gsus4 Gmaj | Cmaj | Cmaj7 ||

2nd Solo:
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Gsus4 Gmaj ||

Ending:
    |Cmaj Cmaj7 | C7 C6 | Cmaj(b6) Cmaj | Cmaj(#4) Cmaj | Cmaj(#4) |

4. jazznan

I really, really appreciate that thanks.....

5. jazznan

I don't know why I was having so much trouble hearing that....doesn't sound like you had any problems?

6. jazznan

Sorry to keep posting, but initially i was hearing it as I VI II V, but tweeked....it really threw me off....any tips?

7. Poparad

I did have a bit of trouble due to the quality of the audio. Once I figured out the first part, the rest was easier since most of it was just a transposition of the first progression.

I VI II V is functionally very close. The first one is I obviously, the second chord is a bVI, so that's kind of close to VI, at least in terms of function. The third chord is a IV chord, which is the relative major of the ii chord, so is very close, and shares most of the same notes. the last one is just a tritone sub of the V chord, so again, your guess if functionally very similar so I can see why you might hear that in there.

I was cuing in on the bass notes first, and then I constructed the chords on top based on what sort of function I was hearing. It seems like you were starting with the function/quality of the chords, and not necessarily making sure you have the correct roots first. Again, though, the audio was kind of boomy and muddy, so it was a bit hard to pick out a lot of that. I've been transcribing a lot of Holdsworth tunes the past few weeks, so figuring out these chords were a lot easier after putting myself through all of that!

8. jazznan

Cool...thanks again!

You must log in to post.