| Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Gsus4 Gmaj | Cmaj | Cmaj7 ||

2nd Solo:
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Dbmaj |
    | Abmaj | Dbmaj | Abmaj | Gsus4 Gmaj ||

Ending:
    |Cmaj Cmaj7 | C7 C6 | Cmaj(b6) Cmaj | Cmaj(#4) Cmaj | Cmaj(#4) |

4. jazznan

I really, really appreciate that thanks.....

5. jazznan

I don't know why I was having so much trouble hearing that....doesn't sound like you had any problems?

Magical rainbow ponies
  6. jazznan

Sorry to keep posting, but initially i was hearing it as I VI II V, but tweeked....it really threw me off....any tips?

7. Poparad

I did have a bit of trouble due to the quality of the audio. Once I figured out the first part, the rest was easier since most of it was just a transposition of the first progression.

I VI II V is functionally very close. The first one is I obviously, the second chord is a bVI, so that's kind of close to VI, at least in terms of function. The third chord is a IV chord, which is the relative major of the ii chord, so is very close, and shares most of the same notes. the last one is just a tritone sub of the V chord, so again, your guess if functionally very similar so I can see why you might hear that in there.

I was cuing in on the bass notes first, and then I constructed the chords on top based on what sort of function I was hearing. It seems like you were starting with the function/quality of the chords, and not necessarily making sure you have the correct roots first. Again, though, the audio was kind of boomy and muddy, so it was a bit hard to pick out a lot of that. I've been transcribing a lot of Holdsworth tunes the past few weeks, so figuring out these chords were a lot easier after putting myself through all of that!

8. jazznan

Cool...thanks again!

You must log in to post.