I need song suggestions for a workshop

(9 posts)
  1. contremisart

Hello people,

I will be instructing a workshop at our architecture faculty next weekend. The objective of the workshop will be to see how music affects our ideas about a new design.
    We will have six different groups, sketching and painting some landscapes/worlds (somewhere they have never been to) while listening to different genres of music.
    And then they will convert these paintings to 3d models and physical models.
    So I need strong songs or pieces from each genre (blues, jazz, classical, hard rock, flamenco etc.).
    I think it will produce more distinct results if I will be able to choose more distinct and really strong music to represent is genre.
    If anyone cares to contribute, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Resad

2. kutu

Hey Re┼čad,

It's a dark and rainy day here, in Istanbul, so here you are, my current playlist, a burst of melancholia. You name the genres :)

Wagner - Tristan and Isolde (Especially Prelude)
    Billie Holiday - Deep Song
    CW Stoneking - Jungle Lullaby
    Tortoise - Thunder Road (B. Springsteen cover)
    Marta Topferova - Grano de Arena
    Jazzanova - Little Bird (with Jose James)
    King Crimson - Starless
    and Mr Rosenwinkel - Use of Light

...but I've also got work to do today, so slowly increasing the tempo:
    Jaga Jazzist - Airborne
    The Smiths - There's a light...
    Rush - Limelight
    The Black Keys - Tighten Up

All the best
    Utku

3. contremisart

I know the feeling, I live in Istanbul too :)

Thanks for the list, will check them out

Email
  4. jorgemg1984

I think early Messengers and Miles First Quintet are excellent examples of "traditional jazz".

5. JorgeRubiales

flamenco: Paco de Lucia, Tomatito, Diego el Cigala
    metal: lamb of god, meshuggah, machine head, cannibal corpse, pantera, slayer...

6. gleepglop

"I think early Messengers and Miles First Quintet are excellent examples of "traditional jazz". "

I know what you mean, Jorge, but "traditional jazz" is actually the term used for early style jazz, aka Dixieland or New Orleans jazz, so it might be confusing to use that term. "Classic jazz" would be more fitting.

7. Joel

Do you know the composer Xenakis? He was an architect with pieces very much influenced by that background.

J

8. jorgemg1984

Gleepglop you're right, I used the expression too freely... What I meant is that those two groups are very close to what people who have very little knowledge of jazz think jazz is :) (in my experience of course)

9. contremisart

hey joel, I know Xenakis a bit. But I don't feel any emotions in his music :)

You must log in to post.