Ibanez AS 50 (1980) purchase

(12 posts)

Tags:

1. LeonardoB

I have been checking it out since my teacher showed me his; Ben Monder personally told me to go for it because it's been his unique electric axe for 25 years now..well, I kinda trust him , you know.
    I currently own a 2000 Epiphone Sheraton II which is a great instrument (Korean, not like the lower quality Chinese or Japanese ones) and very cheap but I realized it is a little bit too big for me; its body really doesn't fit me comfortably , plus its neck is way too flat for me, I prefer it a bit rounder.
    So now I'm seriously considering buying one from the U.S. (I live in Italy), I've tested my teacher's one and it really feels good to me, and since they've been produced only for 3-4 years as far as I know, there shouldn't be many differences between the relatively few models around.

I'm a bit afraid of losing some medium punch which is the great thing about my Sheraton, but obviously the AS 50 is a higher-class instrument.
    Anyone had any experience with this model (or even both, in order to be able to compare the AS 50 and the Sheraton)?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    LeonardoB

Edit page
  2. DanS

Hello Leonardo, there are two interesting Ibanez guitars at: http://www.nationwideguitars.com/ One is a 1980 LR10 Lee Ritenour and the other is a 1984 AS200. Both look great! DanS

3. jorgemg1984

I have played an AS200 from the 80s and it was a good guitar but I am not sure it was worth importing from the US... funny you said that about Monder, I have read interviews where he clearly says he has grown accustomed to that guitar, not love at first sight.

4. You've obviously looked into it; you seem to be wanting to identify with it; you are feeling monder telling you to go for it... Sounds like yore doing it .
    If it structurally ok is a concern other than that it sounds like you are bound to get a new guitar and this is the one.

Email
  5. fakejake

Leonardo, I just saw that Gregor Hilden, a well known German Blues guitarplayer and seller of vintage guitars is selling that exact Ibanez (1981) for 800.-
    I bought a Tele from him 2 years ago and love it. He's a really nice guy + ships to everywhere in Europe.

http://www.gregorhilden.de/guitars-and-amps-for-sale-int.html#variousgit

6. LeonardoB

@Fakejake

I have checked his website but can't find it anywhere, so I'm asking him via email if he has one of those Ibanez AS50. Thank you anyway Fakejake, you've been very helpful!

I'll let you know what's gonna happen here.

Regards,
    LeonardoB

7. fakejake

It seems it it visible only at the German version of the site: http://www.gregorhilden.de/guitars-and-amps-for-sale.html#verschiedenegit
    Looks beautiful, if I had the money I'd buy it right away! My teacher has the same model and she always sounds fantastic using it.

8. Dimitris

Check also AM-50 same guitar smaller size.

9. LeonardoB

@Dimitris
    Thanks, I saw the AM 50 but I prefer the AS.

@Fakejake
    Thank you very much man, you've been really helpful and I am going to purchase the guitar from Gregor in a few days. Funny thing is that I'd been checking out his videos on Youtube for a while, he does nice reviews, in fact when I saw his face on the website it looked kinda familiar.
    Turns out there's a video review of the AS 50, too!

Regards,
    LeonardoB

10. fakejake

Cool, glad you found it. Report back how it sounds + plays!

11. anfjell

anyone knows the difference in specs between the am- 50 and as-50? I have a am-50, one of the best guitars I've ever played.

12. Dimitris

AM is Smaller size, and believe it it is much rarest to find than AS!

You must log in to post.