Im taking a lesson from Mr Hekselman

(26 posts)
  1. patfarlow

Any questions you guys would like me to ask while he is educating me?
    If not that's cool too. I'll ask if i can record it but most teachers don't like stuff being shared.

2. Skype or real?

Admin
  3. jazznan

Awesome! Ask him about, one question in each catergory:

1.triads and how he uses them

2. how he develops his chord vocabulary

3. What rhythmic ideas he uses and learned from Ari H.

4. patfarlow

skype.....good questions.......i wanna ask him about his counterpoint stuff

Contact us
  5. JorgeRubiales

Nice! I hope you enjoy it!

I can't think of an especific question right now, but probably the most valuable lesson you can learn is to record the class (at least for yourself) and transcribe his playing over certain progressions.

I would probably talk about general concepts on playing, nothing like "what's your favourite voicing" I guess...

6. cruxtable

If you could ask him a question on my behalf, at this point I would want to know what his picking technique is, and how he learns/practices making lines

7. guitarmo

I've always wanted to know what Gilad eats for breakfast.

8. patfarlow

he told me not to share the recording i made. I will say he uses 13's low action and works very very hard on his legato stuff. He was a great teacher, i forgot to ask him about chords because we spent 45 minutes on counterpoint. I can't give away the excercises but i will say he recomended learning the polyphonic bach inventions. it was def worth it id like to take another lesson when i can afford it .

Kurt how about some skype lessons eh? name your price mr rosenwinkel!

9. JorgeRubiales

Nice to know everything went ok!

If I can ask, how much does he harge for a lesson?

10. patfarlow

100$ for an hour, he was really open and giving. I found it very comfortable and worth the price

11. cruxtable

were you able to tell if he mostly alternate picks when not playing legato?

12. patfarlow

yes he does alt pick when playing legato

13. jazznan

Based on what you posted here, I wouldn't take a lesson....If I wanted to learn counterpoint, I'd take a course in that or just play some Bach.....

Just because you can play doesn't mean you can teach...I'm tired of taking lessons from people who haven't given a lot of thought to teaching....I'm not saying Mr. G. is like that....this is more of a general conversation, but I've only ever had one excellent teacher....and he doesn't even have a CD

He's a fantastic player, but he's a really gifted teacher, and he even gave me free lessons once, cause he knew I was broke. But he was warm, inspiring, thoughtful and articulate....and he really knew the music inside/out (he could also play bass, piano, drums etc..) a real musician and teacher

14. jorgemg1984

Hmm you have a point - a lot of great players aren't good teachers. IMO this happens for two reasons: they learned in a very intuitive way (or some things at a very young age) and so its hard for them to explain things; they just give classes for money and don't care about it.

But I also think there`s not such a thing as a perfect teacher. I had classes with several excellent teachers and I think they were all important in different periods. Some guys are excellent when you are a beginner - they are very patient and take things slow. Others are great for organizing your mind about all the tools related to harmony / improvisation and how to practice. Others are just great to play with and get excellent tips from them. I had the three types and all were important in their periods.

I have to say that for 100$ for one hour I would expect a life changing class - something I couldn't learned by transcribing the guy.

15. david6strings

all the people in this forum have some experience in music, some people a few and others a lot, so i think is up to us the responsability to do the good choice when we knock on the door of a master. because in general, unless i think so, we must to learn from a master what the master teaches us not whatever we want (for that books are there) so i'm in the strong convincion of he have to say to the master: hello i want you to teach me, but not i want to teach me comping, or this or shit... this is because the choice is important IMO but all the time you study if you are focus is always welcome

16. jorgemg1984

And its also the responsibility of the student to take questions and prepare the class (and the teacher also of course). I always had better classes when I also prepared them.

17. patfarlow

I've been playing bach for years, he showed me ways he personally fuses it with his improvisations which was very personal and encouraging. Im also very secure financially so i was't shocked by the $100. It is worth it to me to converse with and question someone on a higher level then myself musically. It's not quite the same as transcribing, it's much different. He's a very effective teacher.

18. cruxtable

Do you mean the Bach 2 part inventions? Did he mean to learn both parts on guitar playing fingerstyle or something? It seems like most of those would be impossible to do playing both parts at the same time, though I could be wrong.

19. patfarlow

yup those are them, he suggested singing one part while playing the other

20. I'd be curious to see how some of the passages have been negotiated( in regards to the need to displace things from their original register... Unless they are not in their original keys). I wonder about this, on one hand I don't have as much time as I used to to commit things to memory; transcribe things, etc. I feel like I chipped away at a couple of these on my own and would be curious if I would get the same things out of it if the arrangements were tabbed out and spoon fed ... I guess it wouldn't change the harmony and I would still have to give each line it's feel. I'm considering ripping transcribe so that I can get things at half speed ( even just to listen to things at half speed.).

21. silverwater

@PatFarlow:

Singing one part and playing the other? That sounds really freakin' hard. Singing one part alone (correctly) is pretty damn challenging for non-vocalists.

@floatingbridge:

if you're talking about the program called "Transcribe" by Seven(th?) String music...I have this program and it's awesome. It has some great features, and is easy to use. It's probably the only music related software that I've used consistently for more than a few months.

22. JorgeRubiales

@floatingbridge, you can use ableton live's demo and slow down the tempo. You can't save the changes you make though, but for lowing down is perfect.

23. Rad, rubiales.
    As far as the singing and playing, that does sound hard. It's doable but for me that would mean I'm probably not learning or playing anything else and then a month later I have 2 bars of a really deep thing and perhaps some benefit that won't show up for years and I still suck.

24. wilmore

kind of related. Ted Greene would have his students comp chords while they sung the melody to any standard they were working on.

25. That makes sense and seems tangible.

You must log in to post.