Improving time with Metronome

(8 posts)
  1. jazzacast55

Hi Guys,

I'm putting in some serious metronome practice at the moment as I felt my chops, hand sync and time was a little off, I'm using some up coming gigs to really shed some practice with the metronome.
    I've started doing a couple of hours each day really focusing on this and here's what I've mostly been doing:
    Having the metronome set a 30bpm and doing the following:
    Alternating with the click on 1,2,3 and 4, half hour on each, playing tunes, melodys and improv.
    Having the click on the "and" of beats 1, 2, 3 and 4 doing the same as berfore, melodys, comping etc..
    Having the click be every 5th beat so it alternates each bar, bar 1 clicks on 1, bar 2 clicks on beat 2 etc...
    I found this very dfficult, I listened back and realised I 'm usually rushing and have to concentrate really locking in to the time especially the "click every 5 beats" at 30bpm.
    Anyone else tried this? found it difficult? Do you think it's good for improving your internal pulse?
    I've found I've improved after the past couple of weeks a little and have felt my hands in sync a lot better when playing with out the metronome, I'm planning on keeping it up over the next couple of months to really get it together with this slow 30bpm idea.
    Thanks guys, looking forward to your response!

Contact us
  2. sonny

Hey Jazzacast,

I've been doing something similar. I've been keeping the met @30, and alternating between beats 2 and 4. I'm still not very comfortable playing tunes over this setting. I've only recently been working on this. Comping is what I've mostly been using this for. I yet use this for melodies/improv.

The 5th beat ex sounds like a great workout. Seems pretty daunting. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have to give that a shot right now. As for the ex improving my internal time, well, I'm yet to see significant improvement. I haven't done it for long enough, to be honest.

3. Gesture

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

4. Gomoschmortz

I' m working in the moment with the iphone metronome time guru, which has some really interesting features, the rhythm guitar player Avi Bortnik from John Scofields ueberjam deux developed it.

5. jazzacast55

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys, glad I'm not the only one finding the 30bpm tricky haha, It's getting better though, I've been doing a couple hours everyday for the last four weeks but won't expect to see anything drastic for another 6-7 months.
    I find I almost always rush, getting to the beat before it clicks which is teaching me to relax and sit back more, I almost always find it's hit and miss that when I do a faster line maybe 16s or 16th triplets it isn't very consitent with falling back on the beat so I'm working on that, being more consitent with my playing. As far as metronome prac goes I've been playng simple things, comping, a little improv but mostley playing melodys like blues, solar etc..It really kicks my butt, which is great.
    Putting the click on the "and" of beats 1, 2, 3, 4 is quiet difficult, I find some easier than others.
    I just got the time guru app, it seems great but have a good metronome already but can see the benifit.
    I don't toatlly understand whats happening in the Nelson Veras vid but it looks like he's got his head around that stuff pretty well!

6. Gesture

He's actually doing the same exercise you talked about. He starts with regular quintuplets and then he starts playing a straight bebop theme having the click on every 5th 8th note (Instead of slow quarter notes in the exercise you described).

What I found useful is a pretty (but hard) basic exercise. Just play play quarter note/8th note pulse along with a metronome and try to make it feel good. Then I practice playing the pulse behind and ahead of the beat. Then I practice the rhythm of a simple melody ( for example autumn leaves) using only one note and again I practice playing it behind and ahead of the beat.
    This made me more aware of rhythmic placement and helped me play rhythms more confidently.

In the end all these exercises posted here are great but I think to get really good time practicing with the beat on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 on all tempo's is already great. Nothing too crazy. Also playing with a good drummer. Or maybe try a book from a drummer like Ari Hoenig.
    I bought one of his lessons and it was really useful. http://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/premiumvideos/rhythm-training-for-musicians-masterclass-ari-hoenig-1/

7. aramaya

how much time do you spend playing with other musicians? there is no substitute for playing
    with a drummer who has a great sense of time. Metronome time is one thing, but learning to play
    in the context of a group is another thing entirely. Time is different in nearly every
    situation/group you will play in. Learning to compensate for others and still make
    the band groove is perhaps more important than having incredible metronome time.

Everything said above is helpful and valid, just offering another perspective that
    we some times lose sight of in the practice room.

8. aramaya

something that I enjoyed doing a while back was practicing with recordings
    of Nasheet Waits and trying to pull all the rhythms for my lines from his ride patterns
    and fills on the kit. this might be a little more organic and prepare you more for actual
    playing, bc your time is then hooking up with a feel and also learning to anticipate the motion
    of another player, as well as blend rhythmically. You could try working like this with different drummers:
    Roy Haynes, Brian Blade, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe, etc.
    Each one feels different and will teach you something new rhythmically that will be
    more than applicable on the gig.

You must log in to post.