Email

intangible elements of music

(6 posts)

No tags yet.

1. aramaya

I have seen that many artists practice various forms of Mysticism (ie Kabbalah, Sufism, Nichiren Buddhism). What is your perspective on how this influences and enriches their musical perspective? i ask this because it seems so often forums concentrate on tangible elements of music (ie shedding), but I often find that is the intangible essence of an artist (ie something beyond "notes") that intrigues me.

Register
  2. aramaya

read the write up on this video.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

3. jazzbum

Man. That is so amazing. I can never get over how powerful this group was.

My understanding of these indescribable elements in music and my own life is about LISTENING. Deeply listening leads to understanding, in a musical context and in a social context, a connection to others. This group was all about just that, the GROUP - there is this intense connection that could only be made through listening. The other thing that is sort of implied with listening being so important, is silence. Without practiced silence (meditation), there can never be deep listening or focus - thus no deep connection, musical or otherwise.

The level of focus jazz musicians have to practice to be so great is incredible. Mystical practices are geared toward focus through listening in a variety of ways, whether it is listening to your own thoughts, your surroundings or God.....

Just a scratch on the surface of this topic.

4. Anny Mouse

I agree with that jazzbum. I think being a musician on a really high level implies a deep understanding of yourself, your surroundings, others, etc... I think in order to be excellent at anything requires a hightened sense of inner and outer awareness. Spiritual practices such as Buddhism fall right in line with this stuff for me.

Contact us
  5. aramaya

Do any of you practice visualization while playing? I find it interesting how different musics allow the vibe in a room to open up
    and would like to think that the musician and audience can direct that experience to some degree, though this is all somewhat subjective.

6. Anny Mouse

I think I read somewhere that Kurt does that. Kurt correct me if I'm wrong :) I try as much as possible to be aware of the room and take in the life and energy within it. Sometimes just looking at one person while playing can change your whole vibe.

You must log in to post.