Introduction/ Kurt gear update

(23 posts)

No tags yet.

1. portcityamps

Hi everyone. My name is Daniel Klein. I own Port City Amps. Kurt contacted me several weeks ago regarding an amp and cabinet. I shipped him a Pearl and 2x12 OS cabinet to test out. Kurt liked the Pearl head so much he used it to record the new live album two weeks ago. I am happy to say that I am flying out tomorrow to NYC to explore the possibility of a signature amp. I am very happy to join this community as I think he is the man. I will keep everyone updated on the progress Kurt and I make.

Daniel
    Port City Amps

Private
  2. jorgemg1984

Hi Daniel. glad to hear that - I was recently very interested in buying a cab from you but I got two excellent deals on one 1x12 and one 2x12 unloadad cabs here in Lisbon so I didn't get trough.

What amp and cab is Kurt using? What are the speakers, Tornados? Really curious!

Admin
  3. bingefeller

Cool, thanks for the info! I would like to see a Kurt signature amp. :)

4. portcityamps

Right now it is the Pearl amp. I sent up a cab with V30's and Kurt was not digging them. I will see what happens. I shipped a lot of stuff up to NYC for him to try. I will keep you posted.

Daniel

5. jorgemg1984

I can see why the V30s where not good for Kurt, those mids are tough. Maybe he will like the Tornado, keep me posted!

6. patfarlow

new live album? wha?

7. portcityamps

I am back from my NYC trip. Kurt and I spent two days working on the circuit. By the end of day two Kurt was all smiles. Now I just have to add some custom features. I am still on the fence on if this will be a signature model. It really depends on the response. I did record some video of Kurt playing the amp and cab. I will be posting it on youtube soon. More updates later. Thanks!

Daniel

8. jorgemg1984

Excellent, can't wait to see the video! What speakers did you end up using? Thanks for the heads up!

9. portcityamps

He really liked the Jensen Jet Tornado speakers. I think we will try some Alnico speakers next. The speakers are still undecided.

Daniel

10. steepcreeks

Thanks for sharing Daniel, looking forward to what comes from this.

11. jorgemg1984

Ha Ha I knew he would love the Tornados! :) Thanks Daniel!

12. jbroad

the jensen jet tornado speakers are fantastic and are super lightweight. this new amp is gonna be a beast. congrats daniel!

13. jorgemg1984

Jbroad you have a port city tube head and a cab with tornados right? Kurt is going after your sound! ha ha

14. jbroad

haha! i don't think he is jorge!

15. sweetdeat

I'm very happy with my Port City rigs:

I've got one of the few pearls made with the solid state rectifier rather than the tube one. 50w head and 1x12 cab. KILLIN. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

I've also got a Dual 50 head and a 2x12 Cab. I think Daniel doesn't make that anymore ?

Anyway....I want everyone to know that Daniel's work is second to none and you need to check out his stuff if you haven't yet...

16. jbroad

^ totally agree. daniel's amps and cabinets are made of the highest quality components and work beautifully with any pedals and effects that you may be using

17. portcityamps

AWWWW. Gee fellas. Thanks for the kind words.

Daniel

18. jorgemg1984

I wish I lived in the US, importing an amp to Europe is so expensive... :/

19. jorgemg1984

Actually I found a Pearl head in netherlands for 1495€, quite competitive pricing (rare)... Daniel where do you got the inspirations for the amp? Is it a blackface variations? Thanks!

20. portcityamps

I uploaded two videos of Kurt. You can see them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/portcityamps?feature=

The Pearl is based off a Twin and a Dumble.

Daniel

21. jorgemg1984

The videos sound great Daniel. A cross between a Twin and a Dumble? Interesting, it sounds very good really! Is the amp you made for Kurt too different from the stock Pearl?

22. portcityamps

Yes. It is a modded Pearl. It has WAY more mids. This is just the first step though. Kurt wants two channels and a total of three inputs. Plus two separate FX loops.

Daniel

23. jorgemg1984

Excellent Daniel, thanks again!

You must log in to post.