Intuit "scratchy-pick" attack/sound.

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. lordofuo

First post here.

I was wondering if anyone here noticed that Kurt's tone on Intuit is kinda "scratchy," something his sound (as far as I know) doesn't have in any other album.

I am able to get a similar sound when I play with an acrylic pick that has been worn down until rough. If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the 3rd and 4th notes of the intro to Darn That Dream on Intuit (both notes are Ds). The type of attack is very distinct in that particular intro.

Thanks guys,

Alex

2. If I had to guess, it sounds like they put a microphone near the strings and mixed in that acoustic quality of the pick on the strings.

I have so many "How'd they do that?" questions when it comes to Kurt's tone, on records. On Dharma Days, there are all of these little subtle artifacts and decaying doo-dads. So nice and dark.

Contact us
  3. jorgemg1984

That record sounds like the least processed of all Kurt's records. It just sounds like 335 with PAFs into a Twin Reverb with the volume on 10 and an heavy pick.

Email
  4. lordofuo

True, very unprocessed. Just some reverb sounds like. But I still think he had a worn-down pick or something. Maybe he was taking sandpaper to his picks at that time.. lol

Edit page
  5. jbroad

i always thought that it sounded like a trumpet player tonging the notes, especially on "how deep is the ocean". it almost sounds like he's brushing the strings with the side of the pick to give it more of a breath-like quality

You must log in to post.