jazz schools outside of the US

(10 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Matt

As i'll be entering music school in a year or so (as a freshman), i'm curious what schools outside of the united states are worth looking into?
    i hope to be accepted into the New School or the Manhattan School, and i would prefer a school similar to those: in a bigger city with a jazz scene.
    i know it's a broad question but any ideas are appreciated. i cant speak any other language besides English so schools that do not accommodate this are not plausible for me.

2. jorgemg1984

I think the most common destiny in Europe is The Netherlands - lots of conservatorys with English classes and affordable prices. Amsterdam and Rotterdam are the main ones I think with The Hague on third.

3. Quintricacy

There's also the Guildhall School of Music in London. It gets pretty tough after The Netherlands and London to find English speaking jazz schools. I can recommend Newpark Music Centre in Dublin, Ireland because I went there. The course is great, it's affordable in relation to any jazz school in the US but the scene here is quite small which has it's pluses and negatives. Pluses being that if you can play, you'll find work pretty fast and be integrated into the scene a lot quicker than say New York or Paris or something like that. Here's a video about the program

http://youtu.be/SOgt872uKRM

4. guitar1025

If you don't mind cold (REALLY COLD) weather, I've heard good things about McGill in Montreal.

Montreal is an AMAZING city in the late spring/summer time of year!!!

Private
  5. VCA (Victorian College of the Arts) Melbourne, Australia.

Admin
  6. Matt

quintricacy, can you offer any more info about your experience at newpark? it looks like a very good course with a focus on small group and gigging.

Register
  7. Quintricacy

I'll do my best. The course does have a strong emphasis on performance. You have two 2 hour ensembles a week, one which is prescribed material (standards etc) and one which you can bring in your own material. You'll also have one 45 minute guitar lesson a week and one 1 hour guitar lab (a group class with the other guitarists in your year) a week. I think the two most unique aspects of the course are the Rhythm Studies program and composition.The Rhythm Studies program runs through all 4 years and you will cover almost every aspect of using rhythm as an improvisational device as well as improving your over all time feel. It starts off basic enough in 1st year and by 4th year you are dealing with metric modulations, standards in odd meters and also creating your own rhythmic composition where you have to have 3 different things going on at once. For example my composition used the idea of having a pulse that had no set time signature so I sung Giant steps in 4 while i did 4 over 5 in my left hand and 4 over 3 in my right.

Composition starts of basic in the 1st year (sequencing etc) second year deals with song form (blues, modal, rhythm changes) third year deals with composing in the style of great jazz composers (monk, wayne shorter) and by 4th year you are given specific paramaters to compose your own tunes but you have to think beyond the head-solo-head idea and more into extended forms, interludes, new sections.

The course has some really great teachers and a lot of good players have come out of there and it has great connections with Berklee as well as other schools that are members of the IASJ.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info!

8. Matt

thanks so much! that sounds very cool and like all the students learn a lot. my only question is how big is the program?

9. Quintricacy

In terms of class size? Well each year has about 20-22 and each ensemble is max 6 people.

10. Matt

does anyone know the names of the schools in the Netherlands specifically? would be much appreciated.

also, i've heard of schools in Norway that are apparently good.

You must log in to post.