Magical rainbow ponies

Joe Zawinul in memoriam

(6 posts)
  1. Sandemose

Hey everybody,

This is a culture serie called "Concert of the week", broadcasted in swedish television once a week. It shows everything from jazz to classical to world music. Its in swedish/austria with swedish subtitles. I hope its enjoyable either way.

http://svtplay.se/v/1898603/veckans_konsert/joe_zawinul?cb,a1364145,1,f,-1/pb,a1364142,1,f,-1/pl,v,,1909627/sb,p102896,1,f,-1

The clip is available untill 23 mars.

Best, Sandemose

2. wommusic
    Key Master

Genius for you to link to that here Sandemose! I worked with Zawinul for 16 years, he was the true definition of an artist and not only did he deliver several of the most memorable shows I've ever seen, the true magic was that I never ever even once saw him deliver a show that was less than truly mesmerizing. A true highlight, and unusual for Zawinul, was his cover of Ellington's "Come Sunday" duo with Sabine Kabongo at the Saratoga Springs Jazz Festival some, oh, 7-8 years ago. Another was some duet shows we did with him and Trilok Gurtu. But perhaps the most special was the last show we did with him & The Zawinul Syndicate - July 12, 2007 in the old Royal Theater in Copenhagen. The promoter had arranged for the audience (a packed house at over 1500 people) to sing happy birthday to him (although it was, technically, 5 days after his 75th birthday) waving Austrian flags in his honor. Joe was very, very sick and could barely walk. However, on stage he gave his usual incredible performance, sounded like a 25 year old - he passed away less than 2 months later. But he never complained about anything. What a man, what an artist!

3. Sandemose

Thanks Anders, fantastic info about this legend. He gives such a humble impression, he seemed so wise with a warm personality. If anyone knows how to rip this video to the computer Id like know. I think this one is a keeper. As I wrote in the original post its only available til 23rd of mars.

Best, Sandemose

EDIT: By the way, when checking out the cannonbal stuff in the video, I sense Keith Jarrett alot in Joes phrasing. Anyone knows if Keith was a fan of Joe in particular?

4. wommusic
    Key Master

Now when I've seen the program in full I can only lament the music samples Swedish TV put in there. That piece with Friedrich Gulda is not up to Zawinul's or Gulda's standard, so it's beyond me why they would let that be the longest piece. BBC did a much nicer, more thorough job on Joe Zawinul. I just don't know if it's available for people to see. This is still worth it because you get a feel for Joe's character, but for those that don't know his music it won't be the best introduction.

5. Sandemose

ACT: what would you recomend me/us to start if one is not so familiar with his work? I have this VHS with Cannonball Adderly, with Nate, Zawinul, Louis Hayes, Sam Jones etc.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

I love this clip so much. Any records ACT that you could recomend with this setting, and what record (just one!) would you recomend anyone to start with to really get to know Zawinul?

Best and warmest regards,

Sandemose

6. wommusic
    Key Master

Hey Sandemose - a good place to start is with Zawinul's last recording/DVD entitled "75" - The Zawinul Syndicate sounds great on that recording I think. Of course there's all the Weather Report stuff (I prefer the albums from the 70ties over the ones from the 80ties), or if one wants to hear Zawinul play piano there's the Cannonball albums or the one he made with Ben Webster etc. Salif Keita's "Amen" which Zawinul produced and played on is also great....

You must log in to post.