Joel Frahm live @Small's w/Kurt Rosenwinkel - Guitar effects

(9 posts)
  1. LeonardoB

Just bought this cool recording of Joel Frahm's quartet live at Small's from February, 28th and March, 1st 2011 with Kurt Rosenwinkel, Joe Martin and Otis Brown III.
    There's this tune by Frahm called "What's Your Beat?", track n.3 , a kinda funky piece with lots of bass pedals and not very much harmonic movement almost throughout the whole tune.
    After Frahm's solo, Kurt digs in a series of sustained chords, probably using the Freeze function on his Hog controlled via exp pedal, but somewhat manages to change their pitch whilst they're held by the pedal. I've heard very closely and it doesn't seem like he's playing many chords, but just one and after freezing it he modulates its pitch (things made possible by Joe Martin holding a pedal on bass, allowing Kurt to somewhat be harmonically creative)..I've thought of some of those pitch benders which have a volume-like pedal, but still sounds very strange to me.

Did anyone hear it and figure out what's happening there under Kurt's feet/hands ?

PS For those who don't have it, I recommend buying it, definitely worth the money (you can purchase it directly from Small's website).

Regards,
    LeonardoB

2. Entasis

I second that this is a great album!

As for your question, yes it's still the HOG... from the manual:

FREEZE + GLISS — The Freeze + Gliss function is a new expression mode that works a little differently from the other modes. When the toe is up, you can play your instrument normally. When the toe is down, the HOG will freeze whatever notes you were playing at the
    time of pushing the Expression pedal down. You can then play over these notes. In between toe up and toe down, the HOG will slide to the new note you play, from the previous note you played. The speed of the glissando is determined by the position of the Expression pedal, the closer the Expression pedal is to toe down, the slower the slide speed will be. For example, if you play an A note and then move the Expression Pedal down to 50%, it will freeze the A note. If you then play an E note, the HOG will slide up to the E note. This function is similar to portamento on a synthesizer. Freeze + Gliss is a very tricky mode, it takes some time to master it. It can be frustrating at first but once you get it, it will open new doors to how you play guitar.
    Please note: Moving the Expression Pedal to the toe up position erases the frozen note in memory.

http://www.ehx.com/products/hog

3. LeonardoB

Yeah, dumb of me not to read the whole HOG manual, it was so obvious!

Thank you Entasis.

Regards,
    LeonardoB

4. mretfasterer

The way that I know to use the expression pedal in the bliss/hold function is to..
    1 - Hit a note, heel down. The note speaks.
    2- move expression pedal to toe down, the note freezes. No other note can be heard, I could disconnect the guitar and the frozen note still sounds.****NOTE, @ END***
    3-Play the note I want to go to next.
    4-QUICKLY move expression to heel down, and BACK to toe down. The new note speaks, the old note disappears, flawless transition between notes, and the second note is already re-frozen! Boom. Attack-less chord transitions.

***NOTE - With one of the knobs turned up on the pedal, other notes CAN or CAN NOT be heard over the frozen note. There is a knob called "dry output". This knob changes the function, weather or not a new note, or two, or two thousand, can be hard OVER the frozen note.
    Good stuff!
    Mr. Rosenwinkel used this AMAZINGLY on a few tunes with the "Time Machine" when I saw them. The guitar sounded like an organ! AND he could play solo's over HIS OWN background chords.

5. jazznan

You can also just buy the "Freeze" pedal: http://www.ehx.com/products/freeze

6. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

the freeze pedal makes a physical clicking sound every time you press it. lame.

7. LeonardoB

Yeah, Kurt is right: there's this CLICK that's really annoying on the freeze, I was trying to think of some way to modify it so that you could get rid of that click and perhaps "hack" the circuit so that you could link an exp pedal as the HOG allows, but nothing worked so far.

I noticed Gilad Hekselman has sort of wrapped the whole Freeze pedal with some kind of tape that, I guess, reduces the noise; I do not know to which degree it works, though.

Plus, the Freeze has no Gliss Mode; it would be unfair for me to buy the whole HOG just for those 2 functions, they should make a Freeze with a switch like the one Lehle uses (much more silent) or perhaps with an exp pedal. One day, maybe..

8. Benny

It appears that modifying the Freeze to a silent switch is a fairly straightforward modification. Lots of info on the web.

The new EHX Superego looks to be a Freeze on steroids. May be worth a look.

Quick question for Kurt. I saw from a recent link on here that you've been using the GigRig Quartermaster loop strip. Is that silent switching? If not, I'm curious why you went with that over the Lehle units.

Regards,
    Benny

9. Joel

A friend of mine swapped the switch in my Freeze for a silent one, very easy apparently.

You must log in to post.