John Stowell

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. I got a chance to play with John Stowell recently, and I am singing his praises! I figure if you like Kurt, you have got to like harmonic depth...this is really the thing I love about Stowell. Check him out on youtube and johnstowell.com. Anyone here already a fan?

2. cruxtable

i wouldn't say i'm qualified to be a fan - haven't checked out enough of his stuff, and from what i have heard i haven't decided how much i like him.

but, he came to my school two years ago and did a clinic. the stuff he played blew my mind, and his melodic minor methods were way over my head at the time...i took a page of notes, but i doubt they're much good because he went so fast in his explanations and i was trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about..to be honest, i think it might be counterproductive to think of four different melodic minor scales over one chord. you might as well just think about the different degrees over the chord/scale and figure out what combinations you like in terms of the root note.

Secret
  3. i agree, i dont really like to think the way he does on the fretboard, but his sound is dope

Admin
  4. I've known John for several years, and his material can be a little bit daunting at first. Yeah, thinking about 4 different melodic minor scales over a chord is entirely counterproductive. Really, you should just pick one, and plug it in over some chord changes, just to figure out how it sounds in different situations. Some good ones to use are m.m. up a half step over a dominant chord that resolves correctly, using m.m. up a 5th over a dominant chord that does not resolve correctly (or even if it does. this one just gives you the #11), and using m.m. up a minor 3rd over a m7b5 chord. If you check out these specific applications, it will be easier to get the sound in your ear. eventually, you can just reference the sound you are after, rather than having to think "ok, this is an A7 chord so I can use Bb or E melodic minor". All the other modes just give different alterations than the ones I mentioned.

5. hitdoggie

What a nice human being he is.

6. monk

I think that it's just about options. Once you have assimilated different melodic minors, then you wont have to "think" anymore while you're playing. Pat martino uses this as well.

7. He's awesome, I took a lesson with him a few years ago, it was a great experience.d

He's a badass

8. jazznan

He is one of the nicest guys ever. He sent me a bunch of free stuff to check out, an out of print cd etc....Plus he is one of the most harmonically advanced guitarists on the planet. I can't remember who said it, but it went something like this: "more people would play like John if they knew how". That sums it up.

I think Joe Diorio and John Stowell are two of the most under-rated guitarists ever. If they played what they played and looked like young hipsters, these guys would be on the cover of Downbeat.

Stowell is one of the only guitar players that i've ever heard, who can approach the kind of rhythmic and harmonic sophistication that Brad Mehldau uses.

Don't believe me, check out The Banff Sessions (with Don Thompson and Dave Liebman on a few tracks.)

Listen to "Prelude to a Kiss", try that one on for size!

Good post Kittles.

http://www.origin-records.com/recordings/recording.php?TitleID=82406

Admin
  9. Sandemose

John Stowell is a quite new experience for me. But Ive seen some videos on youtube. He is way over my head. Cant follow him at all when he go bananas. I for some reason mistook him more for a theorist (is that a word?) or a teacher, but I have only seen videos were he is in the role of a clinician. Im definetly going to check him out more. Great post as said before!

Best, Sandemose

Contact us
  10. monk

john is extremely kind .. he answers my questions on theories etc through email, without fail

You must log in to post.