Jonathan Kreisberg's Approach

(10 posts)

No tags yet.

1. bingefeller

I was listening to Jonathan playing on this video:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

and I was wondering if any of you guys here have any insight into what he's doing to sound so unique? He seems to be using quite a lot of arpeggios and wide interval leaps but I'm not certain on this.....

Contact us
  2. guitar1025

I listen to him quite a bit and have seen him live a number of times here in NYC.

First of all is time is impeccable!!! That's something that's always stuck out to me in his playing. In terms of his lines, he uses a lot of patterns (yes, definitely a lot of arpeggios). He also has a few wide arpeggio licks that have been worked out; you'll hear a lot of the same ones from record to record. He does a lot of constant structure patterns as well; patterns that are exact transpositions regardless of the key/changes. So when the pattern goes outside the key, your ear hears the continuation of the pattern more so than the notes that conflict with the changes. Also, he picks about 95% of his notes; which is a big part of his sound and tone.

Edit page
  3. bingefeller

Thanks for the reply guitar1025.

I have one of his albums on my computer at home, I'm not quite sure of the name but I bought it on iTunes. I'm gonna have to listen to it again.

He's a really incredible player, right up there as one of my favourites for sure.

Email
  4. jorgemg1984

I think guitar1025 said everything that needed to be said really... I would not have done better!

To me there's no big mystery about his playing... lots of patterns, great time and staccato playing. I find guys like Rosenwinkel, Monder or Lund much elaborate and intriguing to tell you the truth.

5. bingefeller

jorgemg184 - what can you tell me about Kurt's style? I've seen a few transcriptions and it seems that he uses arpeggios and pentatonics a lot. Melodic minor arpeggios seem to feature heavily and of course his phrasing as a lot to do with it. Is there anything else I'm missing?

6. jazzacast55

Guitar1025 said it, he does have amazing time, mostly due to the fact that a lot of what he plays are lines and patterns that he has practiced so he knows how to play them super well.
    I find it being a little boring, I much rather hear someone reaching for something some flurry of notes that makes me go WOW! 8th/16th notes become a little boring, if you ever get huge into his playing and start listening to his albums a lot and youtube clips you will hear the lines and patterns A LOT in his playing.
    I actually prefer his compositions and chord work over his lead playing.
    Oh and 5ths, he uses 5th a bit in some of his lines and those wide interval string skipping arpeggios.

7. jorgemg1984

Man I am not an expert at all - I've transcribed some his stuff but only on standards. I don't really dig transcribing his solos on his own stuff - too personal. From what I've transcribed and from my aural perception, yes - triads and pentatonics a lot, but very well and deep integrated. Everything he does seems to be done in the moment, with a very deep interpretation and zero licks. A transcription will show you the rational side - as you said, traids and pentatonics, very good chord connection, lots of lyrism. But then his playing / sound gives it that a almost mystical thing... That's where I feel Kresiberg his different. Kreisberg is just super-competent; Kurt is all about the music. I think his record "The Next Step" is where he did the transition, the name says it all. Read interviews from that time, very enlightening - he said he knew too much and that he lost his intuition....

But I am sure there are guys here who can speak much better than me about this.

8. madsrh

jorgemg1984 -> If you (or anyone else) has any insights about Kurts style, I would really like to write something about it on my site. Please get in touch!
    Regarding Kreisberg, I feel the exact same way. His playing is impressive, but it doesn't move me. I'm a huge Metheny fan too and I sadly feel the same thing with him. It's too perfect and it sounds like they're always on top, but never on the edge.

bingefeller -> Perhaps you can find something useful on my site themusicofkurtrosenwinkel.blogspot.com

9. jorgemg1984

Madsrh I would be delighted to help but I don't really think I have the knowledge to write something insightful and / or meaningful. I just ried to answer a question that was made to me... If one day I feel I have something relevant to say about Kurt I will contact you of course :)

10. bingefeller

Hi madsrh - I have been to your site before and I really like. Infact, I have it bookmarked. i didn't know that you were a member here too. Your site is very helpful on gaining an insight into Kurt's style. I love the transcriptions you have on there too - lots of very helpful stuff.

You must log in to post.