Kurt and Pat Martino..

(16 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Sandemose

For most forum members and Kurt fans the influence from Pat on Kurt is well known, but I have never heard it as obviously as this. I think this is awesome, the relation between these two gigants are humbleing, and touching (artisticly speaking). This is how all great voices develop...within a chorus of other voices...

Anyone else thinks of the "West coast love affair" record?

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Kurt, if you feel like you have the time and feel like it, Id love to hear some words on Pat and how he influenced you. If anyone knows any interview with this, please post a link.

Best, Sandemose

2. Matt

Pat is someone i've never really gotten into, but this sounds fantastic.!

3. i think i remember an interview with kurt saying that even tho they are both from philly he didnt really listen much to mr martino. maybe im remembering incorrectly.

4. jazzacast55

Kreisberg reminds me of Martino (mainly in his solo lines) pretty sure he was big on Martino in his early days, Check out any George Van Eps also another one where you can hear Kurt got a lot from also.

Email
  5. Quintricacy

Yeah, it does sound like him a little bit. Sometimes Kurt reminds me of early Coltrane with the stream of notes thing.

6. jazznan

I was listening to Jimmy Raney, his solo guitar album, and I heard some Kurt in there. It's kind of like Frisell, as amazing as he is, I hear Jim Hall loud and clear, but I would say he definitely did his own thing with it. Kind of cool to hear the influences wrapped in their own thing.

7. Neither

I confirm you themawt71. Maybe Kurt said something like that in the old forum or in an interview. I can't remember, but he said something like this.

8. Sandemose

Either way, if Kurt listened to Pat or not, arent there some similarities, some aspects they have incommon? I hear alot of Kurt in this particular youtube clip. Ive heard some other stuff with Pat earlier, and didnt hear it at all then.

Best, Sandemose

9. animitta

@Sandemose
    this is my humble opinion but i don't find similarities between Pat and Kurt. They have absolutely two differents "drive" playing, I love Pat but for me he is more "energic" and "nervous", the way he picks, the way he puts the accent inside the phrase.
    I love Kurt too : ) but seems to me that Kurt is more "relaxed" also in the fast passage, a more rounded sound and conception of the phrase.
    Maybe is possible to find similarities in the minor treatment of some chords or the long phrases that span more than one chord. Don't know.

All the Best
    Animitta

Contact us
  10. definitely in that clip you posted sandemose the sound (especially in the beginning) is kurtish.

11. Matt

Animatta - agreed. One reason i love Kurt so much is that his style is almost that of a vocalist - very dynamic, relaxed, yet it can carry fire. Very sensitive.

12. Sandemose

animitta: listen to the clip, the sound and wibe, not Pat in general. This specific clip I thought felt really close to Kurts. Something dark reverbish kinda...?

Best, Sandemose

13. animitta

@sandemose
    I already heard the clip. The general mood of the start could be a little similar but if we use this so easy way to catalogize the music and the musicians, then it's a really poor life.

BTW : with all the respect for both great musicians: you can't say that the clip is similar to Kurt. You must say that, from you personal point of view, you find similarities between Kurt and that clip from Pat. Pat was already on this earth before Kurt.

One more thing: before to write my first post on this thread i had already heard the clip but i suppose that, between clever people, as the people of this forum seem to me, i don' t need to specify that my post was about the clip and not in general. You have not made a post about a general comparation but a specific one, i guessed that writing my first post. So, why you say: listen to the clip? i already did before. Just my opinion is not "similar to yours".

All the Best
    Animitta

14. Sandemose

animitta: I thought it was obvious that I spoke from my point of view, I always do.

15. animitta

@sandemose
    Before you wrote : "This specific clip I thought felt really close to Kurts. ". This is the wrong concept.
    Maybe i made a mistake, not everyone on this forum enter the supposition category of my previous post.

All the Best
    Animitta

16. chollus

@Sandemose
    The clip is not yet on youtube, can you remember which record of pat it was, because i watched it once and it was great, i would like to catch it, thaks
    Chollus

You must log in to post.