Kurt classes in Berlin

(25 posts)

No tags yet.

1. JorgeRubiales

I found a school on Berlin (Germany) that claims that Kurt is on their faculty teaching jazz there. Anybody knows if its true? I wonder, with a touring schedule, how he manages to teach in Berlin? Maybe he has very few hours there...?

Register
  2. animitta

Yes, is true.
    He teachs there about two days a week ( if i don't remember badly ). He said that that teaching work keep him free enough to manage all his touring schedule. I am not sure about but it seems that he has just ONE student ( it's a Kurt's choice, i suppose ). And don't be surprise, it is really difficult to be the "choosen one". You need to prepare a CD for the audition. I met a guy who tried to attend that school.
    Last but not least you need to speak german : ).

I could be wrong about something.

All the Best
    Animitta

3. JorgeRubiales

Thanks for the info Animitta. Well, two days a week, at an hour daily, probably just has one or two students. Tough call...I'm planning to move to germany in a couple years to try and study with kurt, but seeing it this way, I think I may study a hell more at home, then try to move...

4. Matt

The new school also lists Kurt on their private instructions faculty.
    I don't know how credible that is either.

5. JorgeRubiales

Which new school is that Matt? I just know of the Jazz Institute of Berlin :S

6. There are about seven guitar students at the JIB and since Kurt is the main teacher, I guess everybody gets lessons with him, probably not weekly, though (there is also another teacher). I've learned to know some JIB students and they told me... well, it seems like KR is not as serious in his attitude towards teaching as he should, having a tenure professorship. Which means that he omits quite an amount of lessons.
    So, consider that or not.

7. Yeah, Kurt is on the New School faculty. When I was there for my audition a few months ago I asked about it and they said that whenever he is in town he will give a few lessons. I hope I can get one of those lessons at some point.

8. JorgeRubiales

@Dude: Somewhat I had expected something like that. For example, Pat Mehtheny himself said he was a terrible teacher, though Mike Stern always says he learned a lot from him at Berklee. Besides that, personally I've always been mostly self-taught, so a kind of masterclass-setting would benefit my way of working. I get REALLY stressed having to complete an specific amount of work in specific time (as in conservatory right now). But for other people I understand its a problem.

@The BbBeast: Are you going to study guitar at JIB then? It sure will be a lot of fun. Can you tell a little about your audition? It was Bachelor or Masters?

Thank you all for the answers!

9. Matt

If anyone's going to the New School, i'd love to hear your experience there!
    just seems like a good thread to say so

10. Sandemose

As most of us, Id love ta have lessons with Kurt, who wouldnt, but I think I would concider quite many options if I would attend a school than which guitar teacher who works there. I would go for the overall picture, including all teachers at the faculty. And esp. how people sounds on the school. Often you find inspirational knowledge where you didnt expect it. Could it be a problem to have your idol (or what to call it) as a teacher? I dont know. Its perhaps putting all eggs in one basket? Still, the school in Berlin seems wicked. It would be awesome to hear stories of peoples experiences from this school.

Best, Sandemose

11. natjanoff

I think Sandemose has the right idea. You could be in for a real let down by trying to go somewhere your favorite player teaches only
    to find out you may never get a lesson with them. Being around a vital jazz scene with great players is the way to go!

Matt, I've heard good things about the New School, I play with a lot of great players form there.

One thing I think everyone on the board should check out is the latest post on David Binney's website. Check it out.

http://www.davidbinney.com

12. natjanoff

I think Sandemose has the right idea. You could be in for a real let down by trying to go somewhere your favorite player teaches only
    to find out you may never get a lesson with them. Being around a vital jazz scene with great players is the way to go!

Matt, I've heard good things about the New School, I play with a lot of great players form there.

One thing I think everyone on the board should check out is the latest post on David Binney's website. Check it out.

http://www.davidbinney.com

13. Sandemose

"Being around a vital jazz scene with great players is the way to go!" natjanoff, I think that is spot on. I would guess that Kurt (please correct me if Im wrong) would say Mark Turner is his most important "teacher", together with Ben Street and Jeff Ballard. Perhaps jazz club Smalls and Mitch Borden is more important than any teacher you might ever meet, who knows? Those teachers Ive met that helped me the most were those who helped me be a part of scene (if only briefly) and helped find out who I am in a bigger context. Scales, arpeggios, chops? I guess you´re on your own. All these things you dont need a teacher to learn. I think Im gonna listen to "the Next Step" and learn something about myself at the same time...

Best, Sandemose

14. Alvin

Yeah, I totally agree with Sandemose.
    A guitarist in my neighbourhood once said something like: nobody can actually teach you to play the guitar. Some guy can show you the basics and after that you're depending on the depth of your own interest and ability to dedicate. And the limits of your own mind ofcourse.
    Or something like that... :)

Peace
    Alvin

15. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

I teach at the Jazz Institute Berlin. i have 6 guitar students and an ensemble class. my contract is a half professorship which is for 9 hours per week. i double up on the hours and teach 18 hours /week in half the semester weeks. i arrange these seven weeks in the semester to allow for my touring schedule.

people should have the respect to not make opinionated comments about what they don't know. my students get the correct number of lessons.

i do not teach at the New School.

i will not accept any students outside of my school. every year there are about 60 applicants from all over the world for guitar, and there is usually room to take 1 student. if you get in its pretty much free, and you must have a functional german speaking ability, although i conduct my classes in english.

the JIB is a very good school with generally high level students.

-Kurt

16. and Kurt has spoken.

@Matt: I almost went to the New School this year but decided to wait a year because it's so expensive, but I have a few friends that go there and they all say it's great. It's too bad that Kurt doesn't teach at the New School anymore but there are still so many great guy's teaching there, especially on the private instruction faculty: Mike Moreno, Lage Lund, Jonathan Kreisberg, Ben Monder, Peter Bernstein...It's the place to be

17. Matt

The New School is my top pick, but i'm curious - did they offer any sort of scholarship?

18. c0ltrane

I could have went to the New School a couple of years ago but went to engineering school for about a tenth of the price ;)

I believe the scholarship offers are given after you're accepted and after they see your results on a series of tests, but things could be different now.

19. Yeah they did, but from what I have seen and heard they are not big scholarship givers; they don't give out a bunch of scholarships like Berklee. I got a $20,000 scholarship but with the cost at about 50 grand a year to go there and live in NYC it wasn't enough for me to go this year. I'm planning to transfer there next year though.

20. c0ltrane

Yea its pretty difficult to get a full scholarship unless you're Gilad Hekselman, Torsten Goods, Moreno...I'm pretty sure they all had full scholarships there.

21. Matt

Well, lets hope i figure that out :)
    NYU wouldn't be bad either, with Chris potter and Scofield sitting on the staff.

22. JorgeRubiales

Thanks to KR for the clear answer.

I think I'm definitely going to try and make it. Now I just need a work, and to learn german lol

23. animitta

Is there some age limit to enter the school?
    I am not exactly a young young boy ( i have similar age of Kurt ), but i am considering that if i will win the lottery, i will have the free time to dedicate myself just to the music and the study. I already bought the ticket : )

All the Best
    Animitta

24. Quintricacy

I'm hoping to do my masters in JIB, it would be cool even to get one or two lessons off Kurt let alone how many you get a year. Just to let you know, I emailed the head of the department and he told me for their masters program you don't need to sit the German proficiency exam.

25. JorgeRubiales

Oh, that's interesting Quintrincacy! However, you'll end up learning German in order to survive there...here in europe, tourist areas where everybbody speaks english are generally more expensive than the "everybody's place" in town (man I just woke up, I hope you can understand what I just wrote lol).

You must log in to post.