Admin

Kurt @ the Village Vanguard this week

(10 posts)
  1. mikelorenz

Anyone making it to NYC to check out this new group of Kurt's? I'm really hoping to make it but my week is pretty booked up. Sunday looks like the best bet for me. The group really piqued my interest with the addition of Andrew D'angelo. Would love to hear Nasheet Waits play again too as it has been a few years. And Kurt is playing keyboards in addition to guitar!

If anyone on the forum goes during the week maybe this can be the spot to "report back" to everyone.

Edit page
  2. Man, I hope some bootlegs or youtube footage appear soon. I would die to hear this band! I love Andrew d'Angelo's playing and would be super keen to hear him with Kurt and a killer rhythm section. I didn't know Kurt was playing keys too; that's awesome! I want to emphasize mike's request on reporting back!

Email
  3. wommusic
    Key Master

I don't want to be presumptuous by posting an opinion here - some people may suspect a certain bias. But I must tell you that the band sounded amazing already on it's first night together (after just a couple of hours of rehearsal) and the repertoire is incredibly varied and interesting. To me this is one of the most interesting Kurt bands ever, so I would really advice those of you who have the possibility to come down to the Vanguard to check it out!

Edit page
  4. Sandemose

Anders, to bad NPR doesnt broadcast it. We all know how good it was the last time. I guess you cant get everything, everytime ;)

Best, Sandemose

5. wommusic
    Key Master

I hope we'll find other ways of getting this music into the hands of the fans! ;-)

Email
  6. Sandemose

Anders, you´re the man..

Best, Sandemose

7. silverwater

The show was great. They built up a lot of intensity during the tunes like Kurt's bands usually do, but through the vehicles of more traditional sounding repertoire, as opposed to the more modern compositions Kurt's been known to play. They also did a free avant-garde thing for an intro that sounded good. The heads weren't all together, but I'm sure that'll remedy itself in the next day or two.

Overall: 4 intense musicians playing some intense and beautiful music. A+++ would see again! (Sunday in fact)

8. jbroad

it looks like they're playing all new rosenwinkel material. i'm gonna try to go tonight or tomorrow!

9. Damn i wish i was on the east coast.

10. Sandemose

Just read the review in New York Times. Id love to see this band perform live. I brought up a toppic long time ago, where I compared Kurt Rosenwinkels music to Rothko paintings. Cool that the comparision was brought up in the review.

Best, Sandemose

You must log in to post.