Kurt's Strings....

(12 posts)
  1. senggedorje

I'm new to the forum, and I guess I have the newbie question that folks will often ask of a pro: does anyone know what gauge strings Kurt prefers to use on his D'Angelico guitar? I just picked up a D'Angelico EX-SS and I'm wondering what strings to put on it. It's my first hollow body guitar, I'm a long term Fender Tele/Strat guy, who prefers 9's on those guitars, but I'm wondering if heavier or even much heavier strings are better on a slim/ hollow body guitar. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, SD

2. gleepglop

Not sure what Kurt uses, but I like Thomastik George Benson 12s (roundwound). The nice thing about Thomastik is that they feel softer than a comparable gauge from most other brands, which if you are used to playing 9s might make you more comfortable. I wouldn't use anything less than 11s on an archtop (even a thin or semi-hollow).

3. guitar1025

In the words of Guthrie Govan, "you should never use anything less than .10s unless you have a note from your doctor."

4. animitta

If i am not mistaking and he has not changed recently, Kurt uses D'Addario Ej 21:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=28&productname=EJ21_Nickel_Wound__Jazz_Light__12_52&sid=24ef44f5-0d2a-4c9e-85b1-a2e28be15ace

All the Best
    Animitta

5. jorgemg1984

I think he used DA 13s first but now uses DA 12s. And when he used the Moffa he used Thomastik Bebop (not sure the gauge).

6. senggedorje

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I ordered some EJ21 and will give them a spin. If they're too "solid," I'll perhaps drop down to "11's" and see how they feel.

7. Benny

Hear it from Kurt's own mouth: 04:05 onwards
    http://bcove.me/p2v65gwd

8. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

.012 d'addario round wounds.

9. cruxtable

yes. now i know how to be good at guitar.

10. Bluewaterpig

Benny, the link you posted takes me to a video of a Wayne Krantz interview, possibly because its an old link. Can somebody direct me to the original interview with Kurt?

11. fvanbreuk

I thought he was using flats...

You must log in to post.