Contact us

Lage Lund Chords

(8 posts)
  1. jazzacast55

Hey,
    Just checking out some of the Lage Lund vids on youtube with Will Vinson and Orlando Le Fleming.
    They are playing Stella and I'm just trying to work out as I write this what are some of the chords lage is playing in the intro,
    Here is the vid:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

Anyone shed some light on this?, his chord knowledge just seems to be endless.

Secret
  2. Matt

he has definitely assimilated so much 'language'. he did attend berklee and julliard, though, so he's definitely got the background.

Private
  3. trim

lots of cool stuff going on in this intro!

i didn't get a chance to work it all out yet but here are a couple of things i immediately noticed that might help you start thinking in the right direction. the very first chord he plays is an inverted min7b5 chord with the b5 in the bass. in this case, Em7b5 with a Bb in the bass. he then maintains the Bb pedal tone and follows that up with A7, that same Bb now functioning as the b9 of the A7 chord. so basically, using a common tone to tie the chords together. as he continues, there are a few more instances of the same voicings reappearing in different spots. he is definitely playing off of the changes of the tune, using the chords as a jumping point, but also introducing inversions and voice leading that open up the sound. thinking about how a minor ii-V can have such a different aural quality if the bass notes are the b5 and the b9 rather then the root is really cool! but in general, as you work out more of what he plays, i think you will find that a lot of what is happening is that there are quite a few open voicings (chords that are not in closed /stacked position) and that many of the chords are not in root position.

hope that helps! and let me know if you have any questions. i'm gonna try to get around to figuring out the rest in the next couple days.

Secret
  4. jazzacast55

Hey mate, Cheers, yeah I've been working it out and have got basically the first few chords as you mentioned, it's amazing what he's doing and I'm learning so much from it!
    I'm studying from this book "melbay complete harmony and theory" it's really helping me head in the direction of what Lage seems to be capable of.
    I wonder if Lage worked out of this book as I'm finding a lot of chords and inversions that Lage talks about in the Lage lesson mp3 floating around on this forum like using AbMaj7#5 as a voicing for F minor.
    I'll let you what I worked out when I get a bit more time.

Cheers

5. i tried to find the voicings he uses here:
    bbmaj9/13
    -

bbmaj13
    -

bbdim
    -

eb add2/g
    -

b7#5/eb
    -
    -

bbmaj13(the same of the 2nd voicing)

bbmaj9/d
    -

bbdim(the same of the third voicings)

db dim
    -

am7
    -

c7/bb
    -

bbadd6/9
    -
    -

bbmaj6#5
    -
    -

bb7/ab
    -

abdim
    -

ebmin/gb
    -
    -

eb/g
    -
    -

d7/c
    -
    -

abmaj6#5
    -
    -

ltit

Private
  6. jazzacast55

Hey, Cheers for helping, I have only got through half of them but they match up with yours!
    Only thing I would say is to see most of the chords as inversions based on the chords of stella, the first chord would be e-7b5/Bb then A7/Bb ao it's A6b9 with the b9 in the base and so on.
    Lage is huge when it come to inversions!
    Cheers

7. Chris

Does anyone still have this video of Lage playing Stella?

8. animitta

Who is interested can check this link:

http://modernjazzguitar.blogspot.it/2014/03/lage-lund-clinics.html

All the Best

Animitta

You must log in to post.