Larry Koonse

(7 posts)

No tags yet.

1. M.L-13

Hey all,
    i was wondering if any of you has ever taken lessons from Larry Koonse and getting some feedback about it because i was thinking next time i am in LA to take a couple of lessons from him.
    Thanks

2. tonyguitar

Larry is one of the unknown greats of jazz guitar. Well worth seeking him out to take a lesson.

3. patfarlow

Dont know him, but i took a lesson with Sid Jacobs in LA which was awesome.

4. i attended a clinic he taught and he was great. a really organized dude who was super approachable.he was teaching at the university level at 17 after his audition! he had a real facility with that jimmy wyble material of counterpoint ( obviously checked out bach) but also seemed to not have a bunch of licks- he was going for it in real time too and encouraged both investigating the stuff in a systematic fashion in conjuction with just fishing around for stuff using your ear.

5. tonyguitar

Sid Jacobs is a GREAT teacher! In my experience I noticed great players don't always make great teachers.

6. M.L-13

thanks guys!i m checking wybles etudes too.larry also made a record relatively recently playing jimmy's music.although he is not that famous many guitar players in ny say the best about him

7. 111

If you have the chance to take a few lessons with Larry I think it would be a great opportunity.

You must log in to post.