Legato exercises?

(17 posts)
  1. patfarlow

have you seen "rock discipline" ? some good legato stuff there

2. Will do,thnx much~

3. jorgemg1984

Study scale patterns in major and melodic minor (like 123, 234, 345, etc...) in ll the fretboard and try use as much legatto as you can.

4. Neither

Play any scale in eighth notes and link the second note with the first note of each beat, when it's possible.

5. Gia5

I have this exercise, that allows you to do any combination of legato with any finger...came accross this while studying a Kreisberg solo, so many great legatos in various modes and combination... anyway, we have all the combination of the four finger:

1234/ 1243/ 1324/ 1342/ 1423/ 1432
    2134/ 2143/ 2314/ 2341/ 2413/ 2431
    3124/ 3142/ 3214/ 3241/ 3412/ 3421
    4123/ 4132/ 4213/ 4231/ 4312/ 4321

Each one of these combination, play it with four possibilities of ONE legato and three picked notes.
    Let's say that this > means legato, so it will be:

1>234 (1,3&4 are played with the pick) , 12>34, 123>4 and 1>23>4.
    Four times per string, all the strings, all combination. You will find yourself to make some movements you never made before, hard to sinchronize left & right hand.

6. Thanks for all the responses.I have rudimentary legato skills and just wanted to take em' a step further.The Petrucci "rock discipline" was really good;as well as the great input from jorgemg1984,Neither,Gia5.It'll take time to really dig deep into this stuff for sure~

7. Neither

For Gia5's exercise, when you master it, you can add an extension with the 1st finger and then with the 4th finger. The exercise I suggested on my last response helped me a lot for the swing.

8. jorgemg1984

Neither - you are referring to something called "bebop articulations", attacking the upbeat and slurring the downbeat as horns do. It's great for swinging eight notes; I play mostly staccato these days but the impact of that exercise still remains; nothing improved my swing more than that although I have to say it's sort of impractical to use all the time on guitar (impossible most of the time even).

I think he was asking for "generic" legato exercises. My problem with stuff like Petruccis or Gamabales is that is not musical to me... although they are great for technique I rather practice music and technique at the same time. I developed both my staccato and legato using an extensive scale patterns system that is too big to post here.

9. patfarlow

Jorge-

There is nothing wrong with the petrucci gambale stuff, scale patterns arent anymore musical than anything else. Making music is just easier if you've practiced everything you can conceive of, then just let it all go once its show time. Music is a subjective personal thing though so my opinion isnt more valid than yours.

10. jorgemg1984

Hi Patfarlow, my opinion is not more valid than yours also, I know people who get excellent results from technique books but not me. To me scale patters are WAY more musical and useful (and able to show up in real life) than anything I have seen by Gambale or Petrucci. I also find them more fun to practice and because of that I practice more and have a much better technique than I used to have.

Now it's up to the OP to decide what's best for him...

11. My main goal is to use it as an embellishment,hopefully to the point as Kurt uses it in "MINOR BLUES."That's very tasteful playing at the very outset of the song.About the whole technique vs. feel argument,I like what Bill Bruford said in his auto-bio,"I've sat at a drum kit most working days of my life,trying to acquire enough technique so that I can forget about it.Some players make the fatal error of acquiring technique for the sake of it and then imposing it upon the music.The music does not exist to serve you;you exist to serve the music." That's pretty balanced I would say.

12. jorgemg1984

Well then transcribe his solo :)

13. I think I saw the music for it on-line(hint:I can't read music. lol)

14. jorgemg1984

Oh then you just found something even more important to learn than legato!

15. TheDestroyer

I have found that the spiciest legato can be heard dripping from the low hanging fruit dangling from the telecaster of Ted Greene. Dis fool, Kurt aint got nothing on that dude. Straight talk.

16. jazzbum

TheDestroyer -

I've heard this often about Ted, and I really respect his playing, and his amazing texts. I want to know though, where are some examples of his single line phrasing ideas. It seems that the books on single note soloing are mostly line construction, not phrasing. Clue me in, and post a recording when you make that kind of claim. I have yet to find a good recording of Ted's single note playing. Thanks.

You must log in to post.