Lesson via Skype with...

(21 posts)
  1. filters

have you ever taken a lesson with any of these current great players (Kreisberg, Moreno, Lund, ...Seamus Blake for the sax players etc) ? What do you think of the experience ?
    I would love to take a lesson with Lage Lund since he's my favorite of these guys... love Moreno too. I think this is for really advanced players but I might try since I have nothing to lose actually... what sucks is that you can't play duet on the internet but only exchange concepts/ideas/ and play examples back and forth.
    I have to say that just the idea of having Lage Lund playing in front of me for an hour is ectasy.

Email
  2. Benny

I passed on the opportunity to get a private lesson with Jonathan Kreisberg the last time he was in London because I am a beginner and I'd have been embarassed to (try to) play in front of him. Regret that now and wish I had gone for it. I only met him briefly at the gig and he came across as a really nice guy. A friend did have a lesson with him and it was a great experience.

I know that both LL and JK now offer lessons via Skype. If you're thinking about it, I'd say go for it.

3. Sandemose

I got an email from JK maneger (?) who said that JK offered lessons via Skype. I emailed back asking questions on price and equipment that you might need etc. I never got any answers. I got the mail from JK maneger/manegment sometime before christmas. When I never got any answer or reply emailed Lage Lund instead. I got a reply the same day. Unfortunally I couldnt the date he suggested, and then he went on tour. I will def. go for Lage when he comes back. Not because he might be a better teacher, I think both probably are great with different strenghs, but I heard an audio lesson with Lage. I really got super great vibe in it.

Best,

Sandemose

4. yo sandemose, where'd you get the audio lesson? and when will you give me a copy?

5. Sandemose

Yo, I got it from a guy (Ethan) when we talked on the Smallsgig chat. He was at the time not a member of this forum, dont know if he might have registered now, but I promised him that I wouldnt share it. It is his friend who´s having the lesson with Lage, so it might be sensitive to share it. The best thing would be if Ethan (if you read this) would share it with those who are intrested.

DLighto1, sorry if I disapoint you, but I cant break a promise. I can say that there is more talking than playing. Much more about concepts and about music in general. Lage sounds very sensitive and humble. Someone you´d like to hang out with as well as take lessons from.

Best, Sandemose

6. eSkills

I've heard from some fellow Norwegian guitarists that have had some lessons with Lage Lund that he wasn't that good a teacher. These are however just the opinions of some guys that I dont know that well, so for all I know he could be pretty good teacher for some folks. I guess what I'm trying to say is that being a great musician doesn't necessarily make you a great tutor.

7. Sandemose

Yeah, eSkills, I also think that sertain musicians work with different aspects. Lage seem to be more of a inspirational/pep-talk guy. The lessons starts with him saying really nice things to the guy. He shows him a chord (like Fminor) and plays some beutiful outside notes just to display that all those sounds can be found in there. When it comes to teaching as an artform, I cant think of anyone better than Ted Greene, even if I never took lessons from him.

Best, Sandemose

8. filters

if Ethan is reading this : I'm really interesting by this lesson...
    I have some videos to exchange (if any "trading" thing means something)... from the gig he did in paris few days ago.
    I also have some Mike Moreno stuffs. Sandemose if you're interested (I mean ... not for the trading thing necessarily but with the videos) you can contact me privately.

I can't share them on youtube and here cause I was asked by the players not to (for some reasons). Actually I will ask Lage and Will Vinson if I can share some videos but didn't get the time and I think the guys are on tour.

But I had a brief talk with Lage Lund and I think he's a very interesting guy, humble and kind of shy.

Mike Moreno is great too. He's very professional yet he takes time to answer your questions. He's very nice and a real monster player, beyond what you can hear on his recordings.

9. Sandemose

Filters: Lets wait for Ethan to reply on this one. Sorry if I started all this by mentioning this Lage Lund lesson. I feel kinda cheap for not sharing, but Id better not do it. Hope Ethan finds out about this soon :)

About those videos; I obviously cant trade with that Lage Lessons, but I got two sets with Mike from the jazz gallery, and one set with Jonathan Kreisberg (audio only) that I could send to you. Since we cant contact each other here via PM:s, please visit my youtube channel and send me a personal message (Sandemose) if you´re intrested.

Best,

Sandemose

10. i would like to add that i've had a lesson while in new york with lage and can say at least from my personal experience he is as amazing a teacher as a player, he certainly can give anyone something to think on and work on for a long time!

11. Hey guys, the lesson that Sandemose is talking about is actually mine and I'm cool with you guys sharing it if Lage is cool with it. It's a lot of talking (I blanked in the beginning and didn't record us playing) but it's the best lesson I've ever had. The way he looks at harmony is just unreal.

12. Sandemose

tbb0047: Thanks alot dude. Do you really think Lage would mind? I dont think so, but we better make sure he dont. It sounded like a great time. I will def. go for a Skype lesson with Lage when I get the chance.

Thanks again!

Best,

Sandemose

13. filters

tbb0047 : if you want to share this lesson with me, please contact me through youtube . I have some Lage Lund and Mike Moreno videos. I can't share these clips online because I was asked not to but I can share with friends.

btw : what did you learn most with Lage?

14. tbb0047 - is there any possibility to see this lessons too? Really interested ;]
    Greetings!

15. Sandemose

soczez: the lesson is in audio only, just that know.

Best,

Sandemose

16. jazznan

Sandemose I contacted you through youtube, did you get it? thanks

17. Sandemose

jazznan: yeah, and I answered you two days ago (15/1), you havent got it?

I say this, since people really want this lesson: The best thing would be if tbb0047 or Ethan shared it, after someone get a clearence from Lage Lund perhaps? I can do it, if someone get "ok" from Lage. I think he is on tour at the moment?

Best,

Sandemose

18. Ok. So understand that you're waiting for Lage's decision, do you?

19. Sandemose

soczez: Yes, I think thats best.

By the way. For some reason, the News Feed wont update, it happens to me all the time. Either way: there is a great gig at Smalls tomorrow. I started a thread on it (Hoenig, Hekselman are playing). Check it out and comment so it might pop up on the news feed so people wont miss it. I wont.

Best, Sandemose

20. Benny

Off topic: I am really looking forward to seeing Lage live in London tomorrow night. He's on a European tour co-leading a quartet with Will Vinson.

21. skoczenty

"if you want to share this lesson with me, please contact me through youtube . I have some Lage Lund and Mike Moreno videos. I can't share these clips online because I was asked not to but I can share with friends."

Filters, do You have these videos with Mike Moreno actually? Best

You must log in to post.