Lessons from non-guitarists

(6 posts)

No tags yet.

1. fakejake

Hey guys,
    the other day I was at a local jam session and saw a great piano player in the house band. His harmonic approach and use of space really got me..
    For some time I've been thinking of taking lessons again, and so that experience made me wonder whether it would be a good idea to take lessons from him.. The thing is, the whole technical and phrasing stuff is different, plus I can't rely on looking at his fretboard when I want to pick up stuff from him
    Have any of you guys studied with non guitarists if so what was your experience?

2. arewolfe

I think it's a phenomenal idea. I had a class with a drummer named Bob Tamagni in '04. Last year when I returned to school I was seriously considering taking my school-required private lessons with him. It never worked out, but I think getting perspective from other instrumentalists who play at a high level could be really valuable. They will likely give you the lowdown on what they like and don't like when playing in a group with someone who plays your instrument, as well as fresh ideas on how they practice and how they view certain concepts.

3. Gia5

I had two important teachers in my life, and one of them was a pianist. A great experience. You'll have to take care of technical issues of your instrument, and the lesson was focused only on the Music.

4. it can be really mixed. it can address certain fundamental gaps or ares deserving of attention. it can be quite humbling. they don't care about tabs and positions and picking or any guitar bullshit- the common denominator is the fluency facility and grasp of harmonic/melodic/rhythmic material.i say humbling because there were lessons where they asked me to do basic things from the lowest to the highest on the instrument and when i flubbed that - that needed to get addressed. on the flip side i think perhaps that kind of gap and me not speaking or playing up made them think i knew far less than i did. that coupled with that i usually go in to lessons with a very passive deferential attitude ( which may not showcase strengths ) i don't really challenge an initial assessment of where I'm at - a sort of " you're the doctor, help me" but in that same way keeping out information such as what i can play what I've transcribed might've led to an incomplete "diagnosis of my "ailments". i say this acknowledging that i ( not so much anymore ) go into lessons with the cool hip obscure shit i transcribed and am usually sent back home with very fundamental things. i no longer feel let down by this and very much appreciate it. there is a benefit to having someone who doesn't care or know much about the minutae of your instrument and can only "prescribe " things or address or evaluate where you're at based solely on what is evidenced in what would amount to the musicality one shows.

5. fakejake

interesting thoughts, thanks for the responses. i called him up today and he was really friendly. he said apart from other piano players he taught a sax player once and really liked the experience, said he gained a lot from it as well. i'll meet him next week so i'll see

thinking about that this makes me also want to take some drumming lessons really bad, if i only had the time (lol what a pun)

6. jorgemg1984

Go for it, I learn a lot when i talk with ohter instrumentalists! Tell us how it all went

You must log in to post.