Local Heroes.

(24 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Quintricacy

I thought it'd be cool to post videos of your musical heroes within your country/city or what ever. Doesn't have to be a guitar player either.

Tommy Halferty: My guitar teacher in college. Seriously swinging bebop guitar player. That's my uncle on drums and my dad on bass.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

Mike Nielsen: My first guitar teacher ever. Playing with Dave Liebman, my dad and my uncle again.

Three of my musical heroes in here: Justin Carroll-Piano, Michael Buckley- Sax and Sean Carpio on drums.

and the Greg Felton with Michael Buckley and Sean Carpio and Cormac O'Brien on Bass.

Looking forward to seeing yours!

Secret
  2. Quintricacy

Bump, thought I'd try this out again.

Private
  3. Matt

dan karlesberg is one of mine! he;s the pianist - he teaches a combo i'm in at the university, and he's really knowledgeable and really inspiring!

Magical rainbow ponies
  4. jbroad

good to see dan getting some props! i used to play with him when i lived in cincinnati. he's a great player and composer for sure!

Secret
  5. Quintricacy

Yeah, that's some really nice playing.

6. jimjazz

Mike Walker...

Been lucky enough to study with Mike for some years now, a fountain of knowledge!

He has just been touring with Steve Swallow, Adam Nussbaum and Gwilym Simcock too, I hope some videos of those gigs appear soon.

7. Quintricacy

Yeah he sounds great too! Keep em coming!

8. jbroad

yeah, mike is a total badass, a great writer and a great guy.

9. My favorite guitar players from Oporto, Portugal:

Nuno Ferreira
    http://www.myspace.com/nunoferreirajazz

Zé Miguel Moreira (here with OJM's Mário Santos)

Virxílio da Silva

Some other great Portuguese guitarists:

André Fernandes
    http://www.myspace.com/andrefernandes

André Matos

Ricardo Futre Pinheiro
    http://www.myspace.com/ricardofutrepinheiro

Enjoy!

10. jimjazz

Further to my earlier post video footage has emerged...

'The Impossible Gentlemen' (Mike Walker, Gwilym Simcock, Steve Swallow, Adam Nussbaum).

http://mupa.hu/multimedia/?mid=1566

11. Cool thread! Thought I'd throw in my two cents. Here's bassist Andy Woodson and saxophonist Michael Cox:

http://youtu.be/Lu0BFTSoAzE

Another with guitarist Paul Brown (and Andy and Michael, again):

http://youtu.be/Hgb4QFqfq10

Hope you enjoy! Unfortunately there aren't many vids of some of my other local favorites, Mark Flugge (piano) and Derek DiCenzo (guitar).

12. Jazzzz

Cool thread indeed!! Check out this guy from Holland! Marzio Scholten is his name.

13. silverwater

Studied with this guy, really great guitarist. Very eclectic too, I suggest checking out his CD "A New Day". He used to play a lot of metal, although this example is just straight ahead solo playing. (notice the absence of the tip of his ring finger!)

Phil Sargent

14. Barry Mando

Never studied with this guy but he was such an influence on me. His name is Ben Lacy and we used teach together at this guitar shop. Anytime either one of us didnt have a student at the same time we would get together and just play, talk shop and exchange ideas. This guy is incredible guitar player and one of the most humble guys you could ever talk to. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/y3poiVuGEX0

Best

15. add4

They are now well known and tour internationally, but when i discovered jazz, the band 'aka moon' was playing for free almost even week in brussels.. i really started to love jazz because of them. They play really interesting compositions, and have a great level of playing.
    in this video they play in one of their projects where they invite friends. the band is just the trio bass drums, sax normally.

[url=

16. Thiago

Genil Castro: he is my current guitar teacher. He sounds a lot like Teg Greene and Lenny Breau. I really like his playing.

Fabio Gouvea is a multi-instrumentist and composer. In this song he`s playing guitar. Sounds very much original and modern for me.

Oliver Pellet: this guy is a friend of mine. A very skillful player and composer. He recorded his first album not so long a go, which includes the participation of the great Seamus Blake in a song, and a lot of great brazilian musicians all over the album.
    This video is an excerpt of "Invitation", though it`s very bad recorded, there is no problem with the sound.
    You can hear more of his sounds at myspace: myspace.com/oliverpelletmusico

Hamilton de Holanda Quintet: It`s a brazilian instrumental music with a very peculiar line-up. Mandolin, Guitar, Harmonica, Double Bass and Drums.
    It one of my favorite groups in brazil.

Nelson Veras is a brazilian guy who`s been living in france. I see him as one of the greats, like Kurt, Jonathan Kreisberg, Lage Lund and so on. Actually he does have a partnership with JK, available as far as I know only at myspace.
    His version of Joe Henderson`s Inner Urge is fantastic.
    http://www.myspace.com/nelsonveras

17. Quintricacy

+1 for Nelson Veras and Hamilton....love both of those players, especially Nelson Veras he's definitely one of my top 3 guitar players.

18. Thiago

Hey Quintricacy, Love then both too. Last year, about october, I watched a Nelson's gig in Sao Paulo, with organ and drums. I have no words for describe how amazing he sounded. He's definitely among the greats.

19. sweetdeat

Kinah Boto Ayah. Probably the best drummer I've ever had a chance to play with.

20. animitta

The drummer is great! The trumpets are gorgeous and there is a nice optical illusion on this video. At least for me, there are moments in wich i see a bubble soap right on the top of the left trumpet. And that makes me smile : ).

All the Best
    Animitta

21. guitarmo

I was fortunate to study with this guy for a few years. I'm still practicing what he taught me 10 years later and it's mind blowing. It's really upsetting that he never got the big record deal he deserved, instead he lived a life of misery in the woods of Alabama, drinking himself to sleep with mouth wash every night. He was a true genius, ahead of his time, ala Mozart.

A true master...

22. mds90

Federico Casagrande

23. Thiago

I very much liked this Federico guy! Very solid playing and great themes!

24. guitar1025

I went to school with Federico, and he was a beast back then!!

Really nice and humble guy too!!

You must log in to post.