Email

Looking For A Cheapish Jazz Guitar

(13 posts)

No tags yet.

1. bingefeller

Hi folks,

I'm after a cheap hollowbody jazz guitar, around £500 - £600. Would anyone have suggestions for me? It doesn't matter if it has a pickup or not - I will be playing it unplugged all the time.

I was looking at some of the Ibanez ones and they seem pretty good. The Pat Metheny PM35 NT looks decent but I dont know a lot about Ibanez's cheaper guitars....

The Ibanez Artcore AGR70 looks good too.

Any ideas?

2. Benny

Godin 5th Avenue is a solid choice. The acoustic version can be had new for around £550.

3. Yes, bingfeller. I totally agree with the artcore as the viable & super decent option.

4. egav

I always recommend "the loar" guitars. Look them up. They are really great guitars. Better quality than what the price says, but theyre assembled in china or something so that makes it cheap. They sound really good acoustically, and come with kent armstrong floaters of you want (or no pickup) but youre better off getting it with the pickup. Sounds great unplugged, but through a tube amp, it gets a really beautiful tone. I own an lh350 and it has done the job, and if i werent into more modern sounding stuff, this would be more than enough for me for a long time.

5. JorgeRubiales

The Loar's look very nice, but I never got one because of poor QC as stated by several owners (some were keepers, some were lemons). I've had a cheap Ibanez AF75 for 8 years now, and with the proper adjustment it sounds nice (but is acoustically the same as a Gibson 175, so not much of a pleasant tone there). What I like the most is the neck, very comfortable and stable.

If you have a Loar near you, give it a try. If it's one of the good ones, buy it.

6. contremisart

I have an Ibanes AS-103. Bought it last year so it was made in China. But I'm quite happy with it. In fact most of the time I prefer it over my Musicman JPX, so for the price I definitely recommend them and although its semi-hollow I practice a lot unplugged.

Email
  7. jorgemg1984

I never bounded with Artcores honestly... I like my Godin Kingpin a lot but it sounds a little 1920, it has a P90 and no cutaway so... a little different than most archtops. Still with reverb and delay it can sound pretty modern.

The reviews on the Eastamn AR-371 are stellar but I never tried them.

You seem to be in UK - have you taken a look on foulds music?

8. bingefeller

Hi Jorgemg - I am looking on Foulds website now. What guitar would you recommend from their site?

9. jorgemg1984

Hi!

I just recommended Foulds because they are the only UK jazz store... I live in Portugal, so no experience with Foulds. I like my Godin kingpin but people talk about the Eastman AR-371 a lot. The BK Stormy Monday upgrade is for sure worth it - have a set and love those pickups. But it's quite more than you want... do you have a chance to go there?

10. bingefeller

Hi Jorge,

Unfortunately I live in Northern Ireland and there are no good guitar shops here. I will have to order something without playing it first and then send back if it's not a good guitar. :)

11. JorgeRubiales

Eastman will be fine, they get nice reviews

12. Gibouille

I have recently acquired an eastman AR371

Just amazing guitar, extremely light instrument, comfortable neck, nice frets.

Notice it is a short scale, if you prefer longer scale an AR402 will be a better deal.

Also the finish is nitrocellulose lacquer, much more fragile than the polymer paint you will find on most other guitars.

I am hardly more than a beginner but certain chords that were almost impossible to get right with the ibanez AG75 are pretty easy with the eastman.

13. Bluewaterpig

As soon as I saw this post, I thought of the Eastman 371 right away. Yu really need to check this guitar out. It's absolutely amazing for the price, I can guarantee you'd be very happy with it. If you're looking for something not so traditional, check out the Ibanez Artcore line. They just came out with some new models that look really great. They have a really wide selection that ranges all over a possible budget.

Also check out the cheaper Eastman models. Eastman guitars are probably the greatest valued jazz archtops in the market. I've owned 4 or 5 different models over the past few years.

You must log in to post.