Me playing Rhythm Changes

(11 posts)
  1. I know I'm just playing over a cheesy Aebersold track, but here's a practice video I recorded today, shedding Rhythm Changes! There's some new ideas I've come up with so I'm using them liberally...haha. Just posting here, hoping to get some feedback, constructive and whatever! Thanks guys.

-Brandon

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

Email
  2. JorgeRubiales

Very nice playing! A lot better than I can do, certainly!

However, I don't know if it's because you were trying some specific motives, but I noticed that your phrases didn't connect between verses, and I think that that step is the next thing you could do to get your playing to the next level.

An exercise that my teacher told me to do is yo play through the whole song using only whole notes and half notes (whole when the chord is 1 bar, half when there are 2 chords per bar). Then in quarter, eighths....BUT, using only chord tones. If you can play chord tones non-stop in 8th or 16th notes through the whole song, there's no theorical limit to the lenght of your phrases (now they are a little predictable in that area, most of the time they will finish every 4 bars).

Hope this helps, and again great playing!

3. Thanks man!

That's actually what I hope to get better with; not only over-the-bar phrasing, but over sectional parts of the song. Thanks for your input!

-Brandon

4. JorgeRubiales

My pleasure! Just one question, are you studying a BA or something? You play really well!

5. Thanks again! Yeah, I just graduated with a BA in Jazz Studies from Morehead State in Kentucky. I'm auditioning for a GTA position for my masters degree in Louisville this Saturday! I'm practicing my butt off...haha!

Thanks man!

-Brandon

6. JorgeRubiales

Heeheh yeah, good luck with that!

7. is that where craig wagner teaches?

8. Yep, it is! Auditioned the other day, and I think everything went well. Craig seems like a great guy, and he's a great player as well!

Secret
  9. Eps

I went to school at Louisville from '02 to '08 and had a great experience there. I don't know how the student body is doing currently, but I know that there are several great teachers there that will provide a wealth of information if you go knocking on the right doors. Sound great, by the way. Keep fighting the good fight :)

10. jazznan

What arpeggios are you playing between 2:01 and 2:06 (sound like 4ths or something?) Thanks

11. Eps: Sounds good! I look forward to going there! :D

jazznan: Those are some stacked fifths, starting on the low E string, and once you get to the G string, play the third of the chord and start from there on a new stack of fifths. I like to play around with this idea, and move the root around to a tritone, or a third away from the chord, something in or even completely out of relationship with the current chord. It creates an interesting tension either way!

12. If anyone's interested, I just posted an old CD of mine that leans towards indie and experimental stuff on bandcamp. I was 20 when I recorded this. I also have a newer solo guitar recording on there of an original tune of mine.

brandoncoleman.bandcamp.com

thanks!
    brandon

You must log in to post.