mesa express 5:25 crackling?

(4 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Matt

i recently acquired a used mesa express and it has just started making a crackling noise in channel one, the clean channel. here's a video:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

i'm a noob at this stuff so i'm not sure what the problem is, nor the rememdy. hopefully one of you guys can help me out. should i replace the tubes or take it to a tech? (it's still under mesa's five year warranty).

i should mention that it only started making this noise when i was adjusting the treble knob today; it randomly started. as well, channel two is without any noise or crackling.

Register
  2. Matt

i should also mention (if it will help diagnosis the problem) that whenever i play an F/F# at the top of the staff (basically on the g/b string) there's a vibrating noise that accompanies the note. only on those frequencies though.

i tapped on the power and preamp tubes and there was discernable difference in the crackling while doing so. i think the crackling is indicative of a pre-amp tube failure, but not sure which.

3. jorgemg1984

Matt go to a tech... or talk to Mesa?

4. surfinboy

I'm not a tech but that crackling sounds like more than a bad tube or a pot that needs to be cleaned. To restate the obvious, take it to a tech or call Mesa.

You must log in to post.