mick goodrick almanac

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. patfarlow

2. Poparad

I have all of them, and yes, it's pretty much just that. He just spends a lot of time being very meticulous about writing out all the combinations. All scale sequences, all chord voicing types. The basic idea is to take a voicing type and moving it through a scale in 2nds, 3rds, or 4ths (which in the opposite direction create 7ths, 6ths, and 5ths).

Edit page
  3. PaoloBach

So you think it's not worth it, Pop?

4. Gesture

It looks pretty interesting although 500$ is pretty crazy. I read somewhere it's out of print though.
    I'm working on triads right now so I tried some of the cycles in the preview you posted and it sounds interesting.
    Does anyone know what the actual point of the book is though? Fretboard/triad/scale knowledge, exploring new sounds, a combination of those or something else? If all the material in the book is just cycles you can probably do it yourself however it might take you some time

5. wilmore

once you get the idea you can figure it out yourself but Mick is good at pointing you in different directions with the material. the 3rd volume is def the one worth owning. all the stuff with 3 part voicings is amazing. all 3 volumes contain every possible 4 and 3 note chords from 5 common scales.

Email
  6. Poparad

A lot of it could have been cut down to one small book. You could do most of the legwork writing out the sequences (and probably should anyway, to grasp the concepts). The basic idea is to be very fluent in voice leading, no matter which chord type or chord progression you're dealing with. I would definitely not pay $500 for it.

7. patfarlow

cool thanks....so is the miller/ goodrick book more of the same?

8. Gesture

If you want more info: on this thread they talk about the material quite extensively.
    http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/theory/15853-anybody-use-goodchord-voice-leading-books.html

9. Matt

the miller/goodrick book is more about expressing a sonority with 6 notes, deconstructed into 2 triads. they're all rootless, so you remove the root and then construct triads from the remaining notes (ie Cmja7 would deconstruct to Dmin and Emin triads). that's as far as i got out of that book. those berklee dudes are into having every permutations of every sequence, etc written out and down. not sure i feel i need all of that personally.

10. patfarlow

thank you

You must log in to post.